Coyote hunting tips

I recently tried to call in a 30 mph wind gusting to 52. We did call one in to about 50 yards. He acted like he was lost. He could not figure out where the sound was coming from. That kind of wind is definately a hindrance. At what wind speed do you think it's better to try another day?

Coyote tracker I would love to hear more about hunting out of your truck? all the way hows the Honda working? Quieter Than a truck?
Hey I just saw your reply. i sometimes pull into a power or gas line, put my cap door up & tailgate down. I have a big camo fiber tarp that I throw over my entire truck especially covering the side mirrors and tail lights so there is no reflection. I then lay comfortably in the bed of the truck, covered, with my coyote rifle Night Vision gen3 scope and call them in. There is no noise at the set because I do sets in different places . Only drive the truck slow and turn off the engine.

That sounds like an outstanding hide. What do you look for along the power line before setting up?
Well when scouting in the daytime I try to find areas where I can get shots in open spots on the lines. A lot of the power/gas companies have contracts to have them brush hogged and they need roads for access. I then look for private roads that cross the lines or where power and gas lines intersect. This will give you a line of sight and you have to see them to shoot them. Coyotes will take the easiest path to travel and will go on a road to a call of a wounded rabbit opposed to running through the woods. I like to pull my truck into the sidelines where there is some brush. Then put the cap top up, tailgate down, cover the truck with camo and settle in , start calling. Can do it in all kinds of weather. Very easy, fast to move to different areas if you have scouted and have the sets identified.
Willer makes a good point about laws in your state.

I just got a PM from Willer and do not for the life of me know why he sent this to me:

WILLR said:
IN my area pa IF YOU LEFT GROUND HOGS LAYING IN FIELDS .THE FARMERS WOULD BE EXTREMELY ANGRY AND POST THEIR FARMS . OLD HIDES CAN DO DAMAGE TO MOWERS AND THEY DO NOT LIKE THE DECAYING STINK .. ONLY A LAZY PERSON OR SOMEONE WHO DO NOT RESPECT THE PROPERTY OWNERS WILL LAVEDEAD ANIMALS IN FIELDS !!! NO WONDER WHY ALMOST ALL THE LAND IS BEING POSTED !!!!!!!!!
Why are you sending this to me??? I live in GA, but hunted in PA for over 50 years. Never once did a dairy farmer tell to pick up a dead chuck. Farmers used to welcome us to hunt for chucks and if we did a good job they would invite us for deer season. Don't know what kind of chuck hunting you have done, but we hunted about a week after the farmers cut their fields for hay. then in a few more weeks the grass was too high to hunt chucks. Then a month or so later farmers took another field cut. If you shoot a chuck in the summer the body decays so fast or the crows, coyotes, fox, buzzards get them may three days at the most and no more chuck!!!. There is no damage to hay cutting machines! The only damage is from chucks digging holes and rocks dug up. The machines either brake an axel from the hole or a rock gets into the cutters. Decaying stink!!! Where you ever on a DAIRY FARM from all the cow manure!! This apposed to a dead chuck smell that will probably be eaten in a day hundreds or thousands of yards in the middle of nowhere.
Where pray tell do you hunt and what farmers would ban you from hunting because you left a dead chuck???

!

This is my reply

Just a
CHECK YOUR PA GAME LAWS . PA 2021HUNTING AND TRAPPING DIGEST GENERAL HUNTING REGULATIONS PAGE 16 FIREARMS - HANDGUNS & .FIREARMS - LOADED VEHICLES JUSTTRYING TO SAVE ANYONE FROM BEING ARRESTED AND BIG FINES.
Just a Neighborly heads up, I wish you the best but with your attitude and all the yelling your not gonna last long here

So how about the wind. I love it for hog hunting but hate it at times for coyote hunting. When do you think you are just educating them and should have stay home.

So how about the wind. I love it for hog hunting but hate it at times for coyote hunting. When do you think you are just educating them and should have stay home.
Every time you hunt them you educate them. Or they're dead...😉
Coyotes are one of my favorite animals to hunt because they are so smart, they do learn quickly, and remember what they have learned.
As to the wind, here in SE NM, the wind is a constant issue. I usually stay out until it is blowing 25+ mph. Not because I can't dope the wind, but because I have had such poor success in calling them in at higher wind speeds.
Windy days are useful for spot-and-stalk, but I don't have the luxury of high ground to spot from in a lot of places that I hunt, so I reserve those places for winder days.
I do have a couple of river bottoms to hunt and those are good in windy spells as I can ease along the rim and spot and stalk or get down in the bottoms with a shotgun and work very slowly into the wind.
I also spend as much time as possible at the range in windy days, working on my doping skills. I call it "playing in the wind" and the more I play, the better I get in the field.

Ed

We have a lot of gusty winds here not so many days that have just a steady wind . You will see days a lot with gusts running 10 - 15 or 20 mph . I think that after 25 mph it's not much worth the effort to try and call as I can't hear nor can they except for down wind . I have found that there are places that they will be laid up in , out of the wind and you can slip into these places to call when it's windy if you must call them due to them being a problem coyote or coyotes . But if it's just for fun calling do what you want if you want to be out in winds of more then 25 mph go for it just know that you will spend a lot of time and few rewards for the time spent . APDDSN0864 says it well you kill them or educate them . It's your choice and I made a lot of money over the years killing other peoples educated coyote by not doing it the same as other people did it .