Coyote hunting tips

Yes. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Geo, Practice from the comfort of your home!
Get a pair of binoculars and start closely watching the birds and animals, wild or domestic.
To learn tracking, the first thing I would start watching is the critter's feet as they move and as they stand still. Pay attention to the physiology of the animal's body as it shifts it's weight, whether on the move, standing still, starting, or stopping. Try to visualize the weight transfer as a critter starts moving off. Four-legged critters will most often shift their weight rearward first, then "lift" the front leg(s) to take the first step(s). The front feet will leave a shallower impression of the "launch" than the rear feet.
A turning start will cause the outside foot to leave a slightly smeared track, deeper on the inside, and the rear feet tracks will also show that with added rotation.
A coyote that has suddenly stopped because of movement or a scent that it has encountered will often slightly move it's front feet, leaving more front foot imprints than rear prints. This is caused by the shifting of it's weight as it decides to flee or investigate further.

Just as with people, a coyote on a walk-about will wander a bit, checking things in it's path. A coyote headed towards it's water source, known "best" hunting area, scent of a previous kill or returning to a kill will be less wandering and more purposeful.
Long strides on a track indicate purposefulness. Long strides with deeply dug in toes indicates a running coyote. Short strides are indicative of more general hunting and will often be accompanied with little "side trips" from a few inches to yards as they seek scent cones, to identify objects they are not familiar with, or to check out some small movement.

In the Spring and Fall I place "rub-rocks" along trails to gather the critters attention and to provide a "scent post" or a place to rub against. These rocks are more small boulders then fist size rocks because they have to withstand a coyote leaning into them to rub themselves.
I try to place them where I can get a clear shot at the critter as they approach and stop to check out the rock. Being blessed(?) with Caliche rocks here, they are bright white and are an attention getter!
This being cattle country, a surprising number of coyotes have previously broken legs and feet that have healed over. These were acquired while trying to take down a calf, resulting in the momma cow, or even the calf will kick it or step on it. Each of these coyotes will leave distinctive tracks.

There's a lifetime of learning about tracking and I'm nowhere near being fully educated! 😁

Ed

When two or more come in at the same time do you think the guy using a semi auto has an advantage over a bolt?
I think the guy who has trained with his weapon system has the advantage. If you watch some of the guys on those European driven pig hunts work through a running sounder with a bolt gun, it's hard to imagine them being much better with an auto, but I think it's all about training and familiarity.

I shoot coyotes when deer hunting. IT SEEMS ALMOST ALL THE TIME THEY RUN IN PAIRS, THEY COULD BE 10 MINUTES BETWEEN THEM. I HAVE MISSED SHOOTING BY CONCENTRATING ON THE FIRST ONE .IN THE WOODS HUNTING NOT THE FIELDS ARMSTONG COUNTY , PA.

It all depends on the person behind the trigger and if they know how to handle that situation . Do either of them have suppressors , does either one have a good hand call and know how to make wounded coyote squeals . What caliber are they using can they get back on target fast . What is the weather doing is it cold , stormy , windy , hot , dry , bright sun shine is it snowing or raining . There are no two situations that are the same so no two sets of circumstances will play out the same any one time . If you are running an m1 or an m14 the recoil my slow you down getting back on target if you are running an AR15 it may jamb or fail to feed a round . In a bolt gun maybe you've loaded your ammo too many times and have a head separation or a neck separation , a failure to feed or you got excited and dumped your mag ect. . There are too many variables that make it hard to say for sure what the out come will be . Apples and oranges come to mind for me .

I have had multiples come in hard and fast while hunting alone several times, some while I was carrying an AR15, some when it was a .223 bolt gun and some when it was my .243 bolt gun. I can usually get two before they disappear regardless of the platform, and, oddly enough, the only time I got three was the morning I got three with the .243 bolt gun. It just so happened that on that occasion I was on an elevated position and could see for hundreds of yards in the direction that they took off in.
Then, there's the lucky "hail mary" shot at over 500 yards that sealed the deal.

Someone who is practiced at running the bolt and getting on target quickly gives nothing up to the average guy with an AR15 when it comes to hunting the areas out here.

Ed

geo4061, what type of semi auto do you prefer piston or direct impingement and why ?

I really prefer a bolt. However, I was trying to get in the head of the second coyote. From nowhere a loud bang takes down his mate. At this point I think he is confused and just starts running. How far does he run? Can you get him stopped? If he sees you slamming around a bolt.. He has it figured. Human with a gun so don't look back and don't stop. So does the auto give us another advantage we haven't thought about? Perhaps it helps put just a little bit of hesitancy in the coyote which helps us to get him stopped.

I'm a believer in suppressors for that reason but if they are facing the gun the sound is directional and if they aren't right beside or behind the sound isn't redly identified as to where it came from as it travels in a cone shape . I also am a fan of my bolt rifles shooting a right hand bolt left handed and it really doesn't take much movement to work the bolt if you stay on the rifle not raising your head just working the bolt . when I use an AR platform I like the piston driven as they tend to keep the bolt carrier cleaner and cooler then the direct impingement system . Over the years I have had several coyote jump over the lead coyote that dropped in front of them and come on in and several that just froze in their tracks also . Often they will turn and run sideways as well giving you a running broadside shot .

geo4061 , that is also the reason for having your hand call ready maybe even in your mouth so that you can get right into the wounded coyote sounds I have stopped them often and even had them come back to me using that . Another reason that you need to teach yourself to remain calm .

I'll second the part about keeping your face on the stock.
Dry practice is a great tool for teaching yourself to remain focused on your target while running the bolt.
Being human (well, most of us...🤪), we tend to shoot, then look up to see the results of our shot.
Bad habit, IMHO. I'm still guilty of it occasionally and, almost without exception, get caught gawking when I should have been putting another bullet downrange.
If you can't run the bolt while maintaining a cheekweld/sight picture without hitting yourself in the face, perhaps look into a longer eye-relief scope that will allow you to run the bolt without self-mutilation. 😁

Ed

Recent Posts