Coyote hunting tips

Every time you hunt them you educate them. Or they're dead...😉
Coyotes are one of my favorite animals to hunt because they are so smart, they do learn quickly, and remember what they have learned.

Ed
Sounds just like our Dingoes, don't shoot at them. If it's not a good shot opportunity don't take it.
I like what you are saying.if you don't kill them you educate them.

I wish I had the ability come hunt Dingoes with you!

Ed
Ed, they are not plentiful or everywhere. But I have had some success where density is higher.
It's still "Hunting" and we are at the mercy of the condition s.

It seems we all have a different perception of how it is elsewhere.

Anyway you Yanks couldn't bring your AR15 to hunt our Dingo,

I welcome any pm if anyone wants to have a chat.

CBH , what kind of vocalizations do the Dingo's make ? What types of calling do you do for them or is it mostly spotting for them ?

CBH , what kind of vocalizations do the Dingo's make ? What types of calling do you do for them or is it mostly spotting for them ?
They mostly Howl, a true Dingo does not bark. Most "Wild Dogs" in Australia are Dingoes but the Wild Dog term is used widely to cover the Hybrid Crossbreed and dogs gone feral.

You can call them if you know how , it's just learning but most people shoot them on sight some in the spotlight and others just wait at water or sit over a bait. I haven't shot huge numbers but on a good day from the car I shot 5 while driving from a hundred miles stretch that I had to travel anyway.

People will actively trap, shoot and poison bait when a dog is in sheep country and known to be attacking.

Our coyote mostly bark when they aren't happy about something . Coyote give alarm barks , challenge barks and threat barks, and warning barks mostly . And that is why I mostly use howls with just a few well placed barks when I am calling them . I have listened to them and do the best I can to imitate what they say for differing situations .

When you listen to coyote they have a lot of subtle differences to their barks and howls the same as we humans do with our words . The way they are sounding makes a lot of difference as to the meaning of the barks or howls . Sharp almost screaming barks mean they feel threatened or are mad depending on the setting . Short sharp howls say they are worried looking for pups or mates ect. long drawn out howls usually mean they are looking for others and maybe just want to get together with somebody else . They do have quite a complex set of vocalizations . With combinations of bark and howls . I'm thinking that CBH's dingo's would as well . Different times of the year and for different reasons they may not say much . At some times they aren't interested in answering vocalizations but may just come to where they can see the one talking set down and look at them kind of like wondering what's all the fuss about foolish coyote . Take the time to learn when what works when and where , it will pay dividends to you and you will have less frustrating days calling and fewer burned out coyote in your calling area . Take note of it and put it in your memory bank for the future .

Yes I'm sure the dingo have differing calls to communicate.
The long howl is well known for being every when you hear it in the bush late at night. I think that's usually a lone dog and likely calling others to see where they are

I have never had the time or opportunity to try learn the language.

But even like my domestic Kelpie dog I know if she barks overnight I take note to determine if I'm getting up to look, if she gets serious I know there is something to investigate, that might just be a cat in the yard but she has her own calls that I can read

Isn't it interesting to hear all the changes in their howls the yodels , highs and lows . A pair talking and wanting to be talked to by others . The evening get together wake up and sing guys we are rested and ready to go . It takes practice and learning to move your mouth and throat with your hand held howler to imitate those sounds . So many people blow too hard and use the same amount of air in a steady flow and don't learn to very the tone while howling to really get to sounding like a coyote but they will get coyote to talk and come into their howls at any rate .

Last edited:
As long as the ground is frozen I don't mind being out but most of the land owners really don't want their roads cut up in muddy conditions so un-less it's a must get some killing stopped I stay in out of the rain as do the coyote except to feed their pups . Foggy misty conditions the sound will travel farther so less volume is needed . Snow tends to deaden the sound and it doesn't carry very well . The coyote tend to lay up in bad rain and snow storms but will be out after them . Once the roads have firmed up they are quite callable after hard rains . Time is on our side in these cases for the most part .

Recent Posts