Coyote enters Alabama family's home, kills pet cat

Wedgy

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/coyote-enters-alabama-family-s-home-kills-pet-cat/2049854612

Coyote enters Alabama family's home, kills pet cat
By:

• Coyote enters Alabama family's home, kills pet cat

coyote_1559598217433_90563404_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

ARGO, Ala. (WIAT) -- A central Alabama homeowner is warning others about locking pet doors after a coyote entered his family home and killed a pet cat over the weekend.

Roland Collins said he woke up to a loud noise in his basement in the early hours of Sunday morning. He lives near Argo just inside St. Clair County.

"I'm hard to wake up, so I knew it was something pretty serious, and my dog jumped up and started growling," said Collins.

After grabbing a pistol, Collins walked down the stairs and opened the door to his garage. He told CBS 42 he found his cat, Sunny, dead on the floor and a coyote standing close.

"There it was, right in front of me, looking straight at me. The cat was laying on the floor," said Collins.

Wildlife officers believe the coyote likely followed the cat through a pet door. Collins said the animal missed the door in the effort to escape.

"Turned over shelves, knocked stuff all over the floor, I'm still standing there I guess with my mouth open in my underwear," Collins joked.

The homeowner said eventually the coyote became cornered and its only way out would have been through Collins' legs.

"I just stepped around the corner and shot," said Collins.

According to the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, coyotes are often attracted by a food source.

"You need to keep your doggy doors closed especially at night and don't feed your animals outside," said Collins.

Collins believes his two other cats, which went missing, were also killed.

Neighbors have reported hearing the animals howling at night. Other cities have dealt with coyotes in recent years.

Marianne Hudson with DCNR said that the coyotes are adaptable and are not desperate for food or space. She told CBS 42 the animals are opportunistic and quick to take advantage of an easy meal.
Collins will miss his cat but is counting his blessings that he wasn't hurt.

"I don't know if you call it shock or awe or what but I don't think I had time to be scared until it was over with, and then I got a little shaky," said Collins.

coyotes will bite a human if cornered, but there has only ever been 1 human killed in all of the US by a coyote ever recorded and it was a child

cats taste yummy to a coyote though

I saw this on Fox News. It must be a suburban/developed area where they have learned that they are safe. In a lot of cities that I've been to, it's not uncommon to see coyotes. They seem very tame, almost like a stray dog.
Out where I live they are not tame. They are shot at on sight regardless. They get trapped. They are not tame, and they do not feel safe at my place. But they are very educated.

Last year my family had around 40 barn cats to keep the rats and mice down, there are 3 left after a year, and the coyotes have killed some of my relatives small dogs also. With all the rain we've been getting the past few years populations have been blowing up as well as their prey populations. I think over the generations they just got comfortable and are taking advantage of easy domestic prey. Even at work out in the middle of no where in west Texas it's not uncommon to turn around and just see a yote starring at you 20' away. Although coyotes are everywhere in west Texas. I've been on several jobs where guys have them coming right up to the loud rigs and throw them pieces of their sandwich.

According to many sources, Conservation commissions, National Geographic, the Smithsonian, etc house cats and feral cats kill billions of small mammals a year, including squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits. They kill hundreds of millions of birds per year and are credited with the extinction of 14% of all modern extinct species of songbirds and small mammals.
They are listed as one of the top 100 invasive species.
Those 40 cats did a lot more damage than the coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.