Cow elk at 919

Thanks fellas. I just wanted to tell the story as the more I shoot the less and less the range becomes. I knew an old timer that shot LR before it was a thing. He started with a 300 Weatherby and went to a 338-378 and he would flat not shoot over a 10mph wind. He said it becomes to tricky.
One day I pulled up to his truck and he was glassing a canyon. I said no elk yet Bob. His reply was there are three bulls bedded over there and if and when the wind lays down I will kill one. He shot several bulls from that spot over the years longest that I know of was mid 1400's.
He used to go to BR matches and watch and talk to the guys shooting and he told me never trust a wind over 10mph. He also used to put a drop of honey on his targets at 100yards and shoot the flies off of it. lol

I am glad it worked out for you, and think it's awesome you posted your real world experience on here. I've said it before, but I think my effective range for what I feel comfortable shooting has actually decreased since I got into long range shooting. I have just seen far too many bizarre things happen shooting PRS and field practical style matches with regards to the wind. When you put those errors or anomalies in wind calls on live animals, you just don't have that much room for error. Updraft is also a very real phenomenon and seems to vary wildly dependent on the terrain. Enjoy your cow, nothing better than elk tenderloin!

I've said it before, but I think my effective range for what I feel comfortable shooting has actually decreased since I got into long range shooting. I have just seen far too many bizarre things happen shooting PRS and field practical style matches with regards to the wind.

i agree, but i'm the opposite, but i started with a max hunting range of 200yds available to me back east. out west obviously a lot different. i told myself i'd stay within 500 out there (which i practiced and doped with my hunting rifle) but unfortunately never saw anything near or far to shoot.

I dial for elevation but use hold off for windage
Thanks for the response. I never know which is best. I rarely dail the scope unless I need a foot or more of correction. But I miss a lot too.
You made a great shot but I'm glad you realize it was really a poor shot to take. Enjoy the steaks.

Windage holds in my opinion are better cause I can make immediate hold corrections where elevation isn't a problem so I dial it.

Gotta be mindful of a miss of that much on wind when you make your windage correction there is likely an elevation correction also.

My elevation was correct. I was actually dealing with tricky wind hence the post and two canyons leading into one. My first shot splash had correct elevation I sent the second immediately before another big change imho.

Thanks for the response. I never know which is best. I rarely dail the scope unless I need a foot or more of correction.

IMO...never touch the windage knob. Too easy to go the wrong way. I have a slight dyslexia issue so it's way too risky. That said I've never had any issue elevation.

Great shot too! Congrats!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.