Coup De Grace or Aero Solus

@Gingerman Ive been perusing a thread on another well known site that has in excess of 5k responses about the CDG. It seems that there are some fitment intricacies with it. A look at the list 300 or so posts have people dealing with different issues that make it look not so much like a "drop in and go" action. Have you experienced anything that gave you cause for pause?
I'm familiar with the thread. It's a hot mess.

CDG in my opinion is a range gun action.
It has a huge ejection port cut out. Great for dropping in rounds fast.
The bolt and knob can be ran quick. It's loud and proud sticking out.
The trigger hanger can be adjusted to practically no resistance running the bolt.

All those attributes for the range I think can hurt it as a hunting action

Larger ejection port for more dirt/debris to find its way in
Bolt and bolt knob I can see getting caught up on branches and whatnot. As easy as the thing can be made to cycle, inadvertent opening could happen.

The CDG requires a conical cut breach face because the action has no feed ramp. Must know a shop that is familiar with the latest degrees of slope because it's changed since the initial announcement. In addition to this, the trigger hanger is pretty long front to back and a guy would need to take into consideration for a properly fitting stock.

I'm familiar with the thread. It's a hot mess.

CDG in my opinion is a range gun action.
It has a huge ejection port cut out. Great for dropping in rounds fast.
The bolt and knob can be ran quick. It's loud and proud sticking out.
The trigger hanger can be adjusted to practically no resistance running the bolt.

All those attributes for the range I think can hurt it as a hunting action

Larger ejection port for more dirt/debris to find its way in
Bolt and bolt knob I can see getting caught up on branches and whatnot. As easy as the thing can be made to cycle, inadvertent opening could happen.

Not sure that's really an issue, yes the ejection port is larger than some tactical actions but still smaller than many actions like the Mauser and Model 70 both of which have an open top design and a reputation for reliability.

Both my short and long actions will be built into hunting rifles that I will be using this year so I will see how they do.

Magazine issues seem to exist as well. Some have to file down the mag latch and some don't.
The main fitment issues are interference with the trigger hanger and matching the latch height to either AICS or AW mags depending on what you are using. I currently have mine in an HNT26 which has clearance for the hanger but requires a lower latch to work with AICS mags. Since that is the chassis off another rifle I'm not changing the latch but when I get around to purchasing a second HNT I'll either get a second latch or file down that one.

I don't currently have the CDG but I do plan on getting one…here's my thoughts on it.

The CDG was designed to be optimized for the AIAW (double stack double feed) magazines. It will make a really cool PRS type rig with 10 round capacity with any 308 based cartridge. It's the only action I'm aware of actually designed to optimize the use of AIAW magazines (other then the awful AI actions) so a guy could build himself a rig that beats the snot out of any AI rifle. There are other actions that can be cut to use the AW mags but they are not designed for it they're just hacked up to try to make it work, sometimes.

So bottom line of what I'm saying is if you want to build something to run off AW mags I would 110% go CDG…if you want to use some other magazine setup I would 110% not go with the CDG.

Impact Precision actions are also milled to run AW mags.

As for mag fitment, I've found that just about all action/chassis setup need some tuning to get mags to fit. I have a Tikka in an XLR that won't take metal AICS mags without either messing with the latch or the catch on the mag. So I just run poly mags in it.

As for the CDG, it seems like it will be a PRS dream. I have one of the actions I ordered, but haven't built it yet. I'm still waiting on a lefty one that I pre-ordered

The trigger hanger seems to be the biggest issue where mods/milling has been needed. Some trigger safeties don't clear it, so it needs to be shaved down, and some stocks/chassis don't accommodate it - but that's true for other actions that have a hanger as well.

Not sure that's really an issue, yes the ejection port is larger than some tactical actions but still smaller than many actions like the Mauser and Model 70 both of which have an open top design and a reputation for reliability.
I am not sure either, just ideas in Murphy proofing. You know what is cool with the M70 is the 3 position safety. Flip it on 3rd setting and it locks the bolt. No worries of it coming open when rifle mounted on a pack and crawling through the bushes.
Both my short and long actions will be built into hunting rifles that I will be using this year so I will see how they do.
👍

Impact Precision actions are also milled to run AW mags.

As for mag fitment, I've found that just about all action/chassis setup need some tuning to get mags to fit. I have a Tikka in an XLR that won't take metal AICS mags without either messing with the latch or the catch on the mag. So I just run poly mags in it.

As for the CDG, it seems like it will be a PRS dream. I have one of the actions I ordered, but haven't built it yet. I'm still waiting on a lefty one that I pre-ordered

The trigger hanger seems to be the biggest issue where mods/milling has been needed. Some trigger safeties don't clear it, so it needs to be shaved down, and some stocks/chassis don't accommodate it - but that's true for other actions that have a hanger as well.
Impact, Lone Peak some Bat's and I think some Defiance can all be milled for the AW mag, probably others too…none are designed or optimized for it.

The key to the CDG being optimized for an AW magazine is being a 3 lug bolt with one of the lugs in the 6 o'clock position with the bolt open so it can effectively strip the next round out of the magazine. With all other actions that I'm aware of the magazine needs to get seated up high enough so the bolt face strips the next round instead of the lug. This is why so many people have fitment and or reliability issues when trying to run AW mags on these other actions.

I am not sure either, just ideas in Murphy proofing. You know what is cool with the M70 is the 3 position safety. Flip it on 3rd setting and it locks the bolt. No worries of it coming open when rifle mounted on a pack and crawling through the bushes.

👍

Coming from hunting with a 1903 Springfield and Model 70 I bugged Ted years ago about the possibility of a bolt lock on his actions. His response was that it would only work if he made a trigger to go with it as there was not a manufacture that made a trigger for the 700 that locked the bolt and still allowed the rifle to be opened with the safety on.

The only recent one was from NULA that locked the bolt on safe but had a linkage that allowed you to push down on the safety to unlock the bolt. Ted called him and he stated he no longer used that design and didn't have any triggers left.