Need help on a build woth New Solus Action.

Bang4theBuck

I wanted to try the new Aero Precisions Solus action with a shouldered prefit. The problem is the action wrench I have is made for round actions and this action has an integrated pic rail on the top as well as an integrated recoil lug. Aero Precision doesnt have an action wrench available for it yet (seems really stupid to me), and it is a three lug action. I know there are guys building off of these actions, but can't seem to figure out what tools they are using for this specific action.

Anyone know or have any specific experience with this action?

Thanks.

Mill a slot in the top part of your wrap around wrench, alternatively you could mount one of the halves of your wrench to metal stock such that the pic rail is in contact with the flat bar. The second possibility is very similar to wrenches used on flat bottomed action like a win 70, mauser 98, howa, ...

Does my description make sense?

Mill a slot in the top part of your wrap around wrench, alternatively you could mount one of the halves of your wrench to metal stock such that the pic rail is in contact with the flat bar. The second possibility is very similar to wrenches used on flat bottomed action like a win 70, mauser 98, howa, ...

Does my description make sense?
How would you torque it, or measure the torque?

How would you torque it, or measure the torque?
I usually just get it tight enough, feeling it by hand, I have found that the difference in POI at 1,000 yards was less than 1 MOA between taking a barrel off and re-installing it.

If you want to get a measurable torque and your wrench has no means of using a torque wrench you can get the action tight and rotate it in the barrel vise until the action wrench is level (parallel to the ground) and hang the appropriate weight on the end of the action wrench.

The torque applied in the action-barrel interface will be the weight you applied times the distance between the bore and where the weight is hanging, this is assuming the cation is level if not the math gets a little complex. Example: say you want a torque of 75 foot-pounds you could hang 37.5 pounds a disatance of 2 feet away from the bore. The weight is easily managed with water and a 5 gallon pail.

Kind of an involved method but if you don't do it often it is cheap and it works.

I usually just get it tight enough, feeling it by hand, I have found that the difference in POI at 1,000 yards was less than 1 MOA between taking a barrel off and re-installing it.

If you want to get a measurable torque and your wrench has no means of using a torque wrench you can get the action tight and rotate it in the barrel vise until the action wrench is level (parallel to the ground) and hang the appropriate weight on the end of the action wrench.

The torque applied in the action-barrel interface will be the weight you applied times the distance between the bore and where the weight is hanging, this is assuming the cation is level if not the math gets a little complex. Example: say you want a torque of 75 foot-pounds you could hang 37.5 pounds a disatance of 2 feet away from the bore. The weight is easily managed with water and a 5 gallon pail.

Kind of an involved method but if you don't do it often it is cheap and it works.
Sweet thanks. I was actually considering hanging a weight off a wrench since I'll probably only have one barrel on it ever. I like that idea.