Help on new action for builds

Strick9

I am thinking Surgeon, Defiance, Big Horn, Lite tac, Lawton and maybe a couple of other repeaters? If you have a spread sheet on the pros and cons and you don't mind me gleaning from it send it this way as well.

I am selling the whole herd (soon to be listed here)with the purpose of puting three precision lightweight hunting humping and shooting rigs together in the near future one in 308, one in 7 wsm and possibly either a 300 wsm or a 338. They will occasionally be put to paper and more often fur out to as far as I can sling em. Your recomendations and help would be greatly appreciated.

My budget for actions is under a grand each and if there exists a cheaper but high Q action let me hear on it. Not sure on fixed bolt, floating bolt head etc at this point so any interaction there is also appreciated. In a sense I am leaning towards Surgeon 591 repeater but thats only a slight lean.

Be as broad as you like and fire away with any and all information you may have. I really appreciate it gents.

Forget all them actions man. get the best action avaleble today. HEYM SR-30 straight pull. nothing is smoother.

Here's a recap of custom actions: Custom Actions... It's a little dated, but a good start nevertheless.

You'll be hard pressed to find a 591 for under a grand. They're above $1400 now at Brownells.

Surgeon makes their Short Round (RSR) Actions. They're under a grand and very good, but you'll need to add the rail which is another $145 or so.

Look around the site for Lawton feedback.

Stiller actions also look to be a good alternative to a blueprinted 700.

I have been looking at Surgeon action for rifle that I am building for my dad. The 591 is over 1400 and that does not include the bottom metal.

I believe one of the most underrated actions available for field guns is built by one of the sponsors here. Snowy Mtn Rifles has built me two incredible firearms in a reasonable amount of time for a great price.

I was planning to have a Rem 700 blue printed for a build but Kirby Allen recommended a Borden Alpine Magnum action. For a little more than the cost of the 700 action and blueprinting you can get a custom action.

Just my $.02

I was planning to have a Rem 700 blue printed for a build but Kirby Allen recommended a Borden Alpine Magnum action. For a little more than the cost of the 700 action and blueprinting you can get a custom action.

Just my $.02
Some good adviselightbulb
Nesika hunter line not bad either.

You might want to look at the new Shilen DGR/DGV actions. They're a cross between Rem 700 clone, Savage barrel nut, and a custom action that's already trued, etc. The best of all 3 in theory.

They look and feel nice. But, I haven't shot one.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.