Cost of full custom rifle but on budget?

Been building my own semi custom rifles for a while. I base off the savage action as it makes it a little easier on barrel purchases. I did just purchase a Bighorn TL3 today for my first full custom though. Anyway, on the actions, if you feel confident you can buy all the tools to true an action. I've been using PTG action truing tools and they work well.

To answer the main portion of your question I'd plan 4000.00 for a full custom and 2000.00 for a semi custom. The semi is a going to be a donor action, rebarrel, stock. You can likely add in some paint options and probably bedded. The full custom cost is higher due to the action purchase mainly but also the inletting, paint, etc.

Action
700-1500

Barrel
700-1200: steel to carbon wrap and includes break

Stock:
500-1000: depending on what style

Trigger:
150-250

Rails, mounts, etc.
200-400.

I'm pretty sure you don't even need a "custom" rifle. There are so many companies that make really great production-custom rifles now you can just buy off the shelf and will easily shoot under 1 moa with good factory ammo and closer to half moa with handloads.
Bergara Premier Series and Christensen Arms would top my list. Both are Remington 700 based action so easy get cheap rings and bases. Both can be had for 2k or less and give you everything you have asked for and have excellent factory triggers, nice stocks and good barrels.
I bought the cheaper bergara B14 series Ridge for like $600 in 6.5 creedmoor and it shoots 3 shots into one hole with my hand-loads.
Save yourself the wait time, headache and money and look at this route. Then put a nice piece of glass on it with the money you saved. Meopta MeoStar, or something similar out of Europe.

A custom build """might""" come in at the same price once the smoke clears,,, $1400 to $2200 should get you a half decent rifle """if""" you shop around...

Optic and extras on top of that...

There are some pretty nice factory units out there now days, and like others have said,,, nothing like buying something that someone wants to get rid of,,, big savings fore sure...

All,
I want a custom rifle built but as my title states im on a budget. I do not have an exact budget in mind but am starting to save. My original thought was to buy a cooper rifle but now im thinking I may just go custom depending on costs. What can I expect? This will be a handy rifle and not a dedicated long range. I am thinking along the lines of a sporter type weight in a sporter style stock. I am mostly concerned about accuracy and weight and do not need ultra fancy (such as custom milling of bolts and barrels and such for appearance sake). So what do you think the cost would be for a reputable company to build me this rifle? I am thinking something in a Remington 700 style action. Mcmillan stock would be sweet but they are expensive so not sure if there are other budget friendly options which are almost as nice. I definitely do not want a wood stock as this rifle will be carried in dense woods. I think id prefer stainless but not settled on that. Caliber is also not decided but is between 6.5prc, 6.5x284, 280, 280ai. Game will be 99% whitetails with a very rare opportunity on a black bear. I do not hunt for black bear direct but if one comes by during deer season, id take one so let's focus on that. This rifle MUST be sub 1 MOA out to 500 yards and would prefer closer to .5MOA. So what do you think im looking at for costs and which companies should I look into to build me this rifle? Thanks!

The 500yd deer shot: 300WM with a muzzle brake and may solve the brush problem with a black bear but I would carry a 45 Colt or 44 Mag to back that up. OR go back to the old way: big bullet -- 358 Winchester and skip the 500yd shot. Good stock/trigger Rem 700 SA remage 22" varmint barrel, muzzle brake, 6 power scope. Some would call it a brush gun but it is way more than that.

Biggest savings on a rifle in my mind is the scope. You can buy some really nice effective long range scopes from Vortex and Sightron for far less than a Nightforce, Kahles, Steiner etc. I just built a 6mm Creedmoor, 100% custom parts for $2690.57 (includes all tax, transfer fees, gunsmith labor, shipping charges and the scope). Stocks are another big item to save on. If you're not willing to go wood the best economic options I know about are Bell and Carlson and Grayboe. Finally gunsmith work is another big area to save on. I chambered and threaded my barrel only, no bolt fluting, no barrel fluting, no muzzle brake (why put a muzzle brake on a 6CM?). Don't forget you need more than the rifle though, dies, brass and components. Components are an ongoing thing and vary widely depending on your preferences but I put another $377.27 into brass and dies bringing my total to $3067.84. I did all the work myself other than the chambering, threading and crowning. It's a sweet shooting rifle, one ragged hole at 100 yards with 5 shot groups every single time I do it. Finally, if you have time, look for sales, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas on the parts you want.

If you're interested I used the following parts
Bighorn Origin action
Grayboe stock
Bartlein 5R barrel
Mesa Precision bottom metal
Geissele super 700 trigger (definitely cheaper ways to go, but I really like these)
Sightron SIII 8-32x56 scope (Best scope in this price range IMO, even as good as several in the higher ranges IMO)
Seekins Precision Rings (also cheaper ways to go, but I am obsessed with these things)
Lapua brass (cheaper brass available, but all your investment will be for not if you don't get good brass. I also bought 200 so could do just 100 depending)
Redding bushing die and bushing, Forster benchrest seating die

Go used. So many guys like to switch guns , calibers , buy new guns , get old cannot shoot anymore. Dont ask me how I know this. Ha ha ha.
lots of bargains out there. When you buy used make sure gun comes with a log on how many shots has gone down the barrel and what day etc.
to many people think they know how many rounds went through the barrel but it is normally twice that amount. Marty

I think first you need to decide on what cartridge your going to want, from there it will be a short or long action. Custom actions will run around $1000 easy and if you are into weight savings up too $1500. Barrels will run $500 to $700 for installation and chambering. If buying a custom action has them install the barrel. Triggers can run up to $450 for a Remington clone but you get what you pay for. As said earlier stocks can cost $1000 and take awhile to get. You action builder maybe able to help on cost and time if they deal with those companies on a regular basis. No one said you have to have it done all at once. I have several custom builds that took over a year to get so be patient

Here ya go, its my poor mans Custom Target rifle, 6.5 PRC built on a Sako A7 with #3 contour HawkHill barrel !

Ive built a few full customs on Defiance actions but they don't shoot any better than the Montanas !

Sako's got a smoooooothe action and a very nice trigger. Too bad they're not 2-stage.

Depends on your budget and distance you want to shoot. I have 2 rifles configured for long distance shooting but my latest build, my 3rd, is a Ruger American Rifle in 308.
It has incredible accuracy out of the box. It was an easy build with it. I replaced the a few parts but the accuracy at 800 yards is sub minute of angle with the stock barrel. I will say that it isn't a heavy barrel but with patients and letting it cool between rounds I found it to be as good as my more expensive rifles. It will get you into the "game" of long distance markman ship and let you know if you want to stick with it without breaking the budget. The rifle with hold a good resale value at a price , that if you want to sale it, it will be easier to move then a more expensive rifle. It is available in 308, 223, 6.5 creed more and other calibers so you should find a caliber you want to try in this rifle. Hope this helps

All,
I want a custom rifle built but as my title states im on a budget. I do not have an exact budget in mind but am starting to save. My original thought was to buy a cooper rifle but now im thinking I may just go custom depending on costs. What can I expect? This will be a handy rifle and not a dedicated long range. I am thinking along the lines of a sporter type weight in a sporter style stock. I am mostly concerned about accuracy and weight and do not need ultra fancy (such as custom milling of bolts and barrels and such for appearance sake). So what do you think the cost would be for a reputable company to build me this rifle? I am thinking something in a Remington 700 style action. Mcmillan stock would be sweet but they are expensive so not sure if there are other budget friendly options which are almost as nice. I definitely do not want a wood stock as this rifle will be carried in dense woods. I think id prefer stainless but not settled on that. Caliber is also not decided but is between 6.5prc, 6.5x284, 280, 280ai. Game will be 99% whitetails with a very rare opportunity on a black bear. I do not hunt for black bear direct but if one comes by during deer season, id take one so let's focus on that. This rifle MUST be sub 1 MOA out to 500 yards and would prefer closer to .5MOA. So what do you think im looking at for costs and which companies should I look into to build me this rifle? Thanks!
Call benchmark and talk to ron or bill. You wont get a better price anywhere and wont get any bull from them
They are unsurpassed for accuracy, check how many national champion top ten are using their barrel. They are all shooters themselves. Another option to consider other than rem for inexpensive but gr8 action is teeka. Good luck , Allan Baker

Don't get in a rush look at and find a fit and feel that you like . Check out several pawn shops and gun stores to see what you like for your body size and type . Talk with some gunsmiths in your area to see what services they offer and their pricing for different services . You can get a good barreled action and have it trued then re-barrel it if you want to . Some times you can get a good stock on e-bay for good a price ( byer be aware of what you are buying ) . Guns and auots have a lot in common a lot of people like to tinker with them and make them into something of beauty in their eyes so take offs can be found and good deals found on putting together a good looking and preforming rifle . For me it's about putting together one that fits , looks good ( to me ) and functions well good luck on your build

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.