Cost of a new scope?

You will get all kinds of free advice on here. My question on Vortex is you wonder why they have such a warrenty? I've had to send them in just after shooting them no dropping or banging just recoil. Yes they worked on it for free but to my way of thinking they should be more rugged. If my wallet would take it I love Kahles scopes. The Kahles 624i is one fine scope. You need to handle and really look through what ever you are going to buy. Night froce is good for sure but Kahles is great.

I heard one should spend 1 1/2-2X as much on a scope as for the rifle. I'm scraping together enough to get a Weatherby titanium 6.5 RPM for over $3,000. I have never heard of a $6,000 scope. What do I do now?
Save your money and buy a nightforce. If you are wanting to stay light weight buy the SHV line under $1,400.00. The NXS is the medium range $1500-2200. Same glass 20 more MOA elevation. The ATACR 5x25x56 with illuminated reticle is the bomb. It is built like a tank. It has 34 mm tube and 120 MOA elevation. Available in first or second plane from $2400-3600.
I have have owned the SHV and ATACR. Crisp clear glass with large field of view and built like a tank. Great warranty.
You can pay more for a scope but will be hard pressed to find better built.
Schmidt and bender is great, but a little heavier than the nightforce.

I heard one should spend 1 1/2-2X as much on a scope as for the rifle. I'm scraping together enough to get a Weatherby titanium 6.5 RPM for over $3,000. I have never heard of a $6,000 scope. What do I do now?

If your serious about spending $2k, $3k, or more go with Gunwerks Revic do it all optic...roughly $3k shipped and it will out perform most of these other optics that are significantly more expensive.

All of these expensive rifles and optics will out perform the shooter every day of the week. Just because you can afford to own these over-priced products does not mean you are certified to operate them in long range hunting situations. Spend the money and the time on the training to be able to accurately make long shots before spending the big money to look like you can get it done when the time comes.

Exactly. Uber expensive equipment don't make any shooter a shooter. Just witnessed that in Nebraska last week. Hunter with uber expensive rifle and scope (300 WM) titally decimated a nice Mulie with 7 poorly placed shots. Yep, seven to kill. Poor animal suffered from a blown off leg, busted antler and blown off jaw. Conversely, my hunting partner took a Mulie at full gallop at 300 yards with a store bought 6.5 284 with an inexpensive Burris scope, one shot, well placed. Well placed because he practices. I was lucky, took a nice buck at 150 broadside with my Pierce built 308 Michigan deer stick. It wasn't cheap nor was the Swaro scope but I too practice. Too me 2 hits to kill it.

As an aside, I swear by Bergers. Excellent expansion always.

Long range shooting can be correlated with Golf....if I look good and buy the most expensive products then I'll be a Scratch Golfer!!!!!! WRONG, its always the guy with 50 year old clubs and a torn polo shirt that will kick your can all over the course and leave you wondering WHY???! BECAUSE he practices his craft and can get it done with any club in his bag!!!!

Even the least expensive rifle (other than an AK 47...:confused:) will outperform a shooter than don't get out and practice and I don't mean punching paper at 100 yards either. Heck, I have a handgun that will do that everyday.

My experience has been the better the glass the better the hunter. My hunting friends and I hunt together often. My animal is down on first shot and most often DRT. They often are putting multiple rounds into their animals and then trailing it over a long distance. I can see exactly where I am shooting, I have confidence the pill will go exactly where I send it. I have been accused in the past of over glassing my rifles. I think my experience plays it out that I am not. All that being said, I put nightforce optics on all my hunting rifles and have never been sad except at the purchase counter!!!

Not that I can justify or afford it but you might look at the Gunwerks new scope. Revic. Has more bells and whistles than my old brain could contemplate but if it is half the scope that they say it is, WOW!!!!!
I have a Revic and it's an awesome optic. It's a bit heavy at 3lbs for a light weight mountain rifle. It's impressive enough though that it might be worth carrying the extra weight!

I found that the best scope I could find for my money was a Tac Vector Paragon. Really good German Schott brand glass and very reliable tracking for less than $500-$600.

I'd buy a Swarovski 4-12 for appx 1k if I wanted to keep it light or a nightforce NX8 for 2k if I was less worried about weight.

Yes, a $300 rifle deserves a $450 scope and a $600 rifle deserves at least a $1,000 scope because you can't hit what you can't see and the accuracy of a rifle is no better than its aiming system. That said, a "premium" rifle deserves a "premium" scope. Once you into "premium", 1.5x makes no sense.

You might look at a leupold vx 6 hd I have found them to great along with the warranty and customer service they are hard to beat

I see what you did there :cool:

Allow me to join the growing list of offers to sell you a quality optic at a price point sure to make you feel comfortable in your investment!

Maybe that's waaay too much for the Bee!...lol

You boys are very gracious to offer to sell a scope for the right price. I saw a S&B for $4,500 or $5,400. But it was way too heavy for this rifle. The glass was fantastic. Noticably better than my beloved Bushnell.

There is one I think is worth saving for. It is only twenty-four ounces! Put that in some Talleys and I have a carry weight way under seven pounds!
jmcmath,
I often wondered when we're told, "I never had problems with any of my scopes and I have twenty or thirty" or something like that. When do they have time to find out how good all are?
It's statistically highly improbable to "never" have a problem with 20-30 scopes, unless they never shoot. good luck with your new rifle, for light weight higher end glass check out March....heard good things, no personal experience. I have experience with Leupold Mark 5 and Zero Compromise. The mark 5 is lighter, the ZCO is fantastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.