coppermelt?

257speed

Didn't want to hi-jack the other post, but was curious what you guys are using now that the coppermelt has dried up. I am nursing my last bottle, but it will be gone soon. Does anyone know how such a great product didn't stick around?

Sportman's Warehouse has it on the shelf here in Texas. Perhaps you can call them and have them ship it. fwiw - I have found Barnes CR-10 and Warthog 1132 to be more effective.

Well, it was another bad business deal where the guy taking care of the business end of it screwed the guy who invented it. They split ways but too late. The damage had already been done and creditors wanted their return.

When offered to sell the patent, the lab guy went into hiding back in Canada and refused to sell. At least, that's where the saga was last time I checked 6 months ago.

For guns I can clean fairly easy, I will substitute Coppermelt with Bore Tech Eliminator. It is really great stuff but it is still a solvent, not an enzyme.

How long ago did you see it on their shelf? And do you have a phone number for them? Oh, and where in Texas? I have a friend who goes down there quite often and maybe he could pick it up for me.

Try KG-12

Probably the best and least known product for removing copper from your barrel is KG-12 Copper remover. It is water based and more effective than most of all your products combined, and safe on your barrel.

I put a penny into a plastic Dixie cup with KG-12, within 36 hour 99% of the copper jacket was gone from the penny, but the alloy underneath was not harmed or pitted. I put another penny in Barnes copper remover; it didn't do much over the 36 hours. Try that with your current cleaner.

Folks who try it aren't sure it works because they don't see the blue or green coming out on their patches like they do from those other products. This is because that's a chemical reaction with the ammonia in the solvent and KG doesn't have ammonia in. Believe me, its working. I only use it when I've shot 500+ rounds between cleanings.

It's good stuff.

KG Products

[ QUOTE ]
How long ago did you see it on their shelf? And do you have a phone number for them? Oh, and where in Texas? I have a friend who goes down there quite often and maybe he could pick it up for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw 5 or 6 on the shelf just a few weeks ago.

Sportsman's Warehouse
3203 S. I H 35 Suite 500
Round Rock, TX 78664
*Located next to Best Buy & Target
Telephone
(512)218-8880

Re: Try KG-12

I've tried KG-12 and didn't like it at all. I used it as directed and gave it plenty of time to work each time. There was no color on any patches, so I couldn't tell if it worked or not except that copper streaks near the muzzle were still present. The real test, though, was when I followed the KG-12 with traditional ammonia based solvents. There was a considerable amount of blue coloration on the patches indicating appreciable amounts of copper remained in the bore after using the KG-12.

You don't hear much about these KG products and I think it's for a reason.

+100 on the KG-12, that stuff kicks butt. Works as good as WipeOut, but instead of having to wait overnight for the same results, KG-12 will do the same job in about 10-15 minutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.