Coppermelt break-in pics

goodgrouper

I got a chance today to break-in uncle b's new 284 bsm dodad whatzit magnum today and here are the results.

It is a 6 groove Shilen select match barrel and the only product used in break in was Coppermelt.

In 2 hours and 45 minutes, I shot 10 shots and ran 30 patches down the bore and completed the break-in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It was a very smooth barrel, one of the best I have ever seen and I think it seriously took only 2 shots to smooth her out and the other 8 were just for insurance! Still, even with that smooth of a barrel, any other copper solvent would have taken all day and probably part of another to do the same thing. Coppermelt is amazing!

Here is the sequence of patches. They are numbered with two numbers. THe first is the number of shots through the barrel before the sequence starts. The second number is the patch number. It reads in top to bottom columns from left to right. Notice how all the 3rd or 4th patches in each sequence are almost pure white and all the first patches are almost jet black! After the eight shot, I cleaned and fired the last 2 shots together (9th and 10th round) and called them the "last two" thus the "L2".
Even with double the copper down the bore, it still took the same amount of patches as the shot before.
Oh, I reversed 4-1 and 4-2 on accident.
breakinpatches.jpg

Here is the last sequences. I think she's done!
lastpatches.jpg

Here is all the patches stacked up. 30 in all! My bag of patches lasts forever!
stackofpatches.jpg

Here is the cartridge next to a 25-06. It is a 7mm-270wsm throated for the long polymer tipped bullets. The one pictured is a 154 Hornady interbond seated about .060" of the lands.
284bsm2506.jpg

I know you said the only product used was Coppermelt but did you fire the next round after the last cleaning patch in the picture or did you run a clean dry patch etc. through it before firing the next round?

Coppermelt is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I've got two new barrels coming up and plan on nothing but Coppermelt in them also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I usually ran two dry patches through after the white patches before shooting again. I use to oil between every cleaning but found it didn't make any difference. Now the only time I oil is when I will be storing the gun for several months which lately hasn't happened at all!

GG. do you only use Coppermelt during break in or do you use it all the time for your cleaning. I am currently using Butch's Bore shine and J-B's Bore Cleaning Compound and J-B Bore Bright. What do you think about J-B's, it seems to work good, however, I have been told different things about J-B's, some good and some bad. Any way, how are things going with the M.O.A.G, have you done any testing at 2500 yet. Thank, Wildcat.

I guess you've finally convinced me. I just may have to try some of this stuff.

BTW, do they pay well for advertising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

goodgrouper,
I can tell you are having way too much fun with your new camera, but you left out the pic's of 7mmrhb's ultimate bedding job and fiftydriver's awesome metal work.
UB
p.s.it is 10:00 PM local time and I just got off work so obviously I did not have time to go break-in my new toy myself. thanks a ton goodgrouper

My patches look somwhat the same but usually first patch is black as coal, second is light bluish color third is clear.
Is anyone else getting the close to the same as these fine pictures show?
I know coppermelt works and am still suprised at how fast it works.
I usually run a patch of shooters choice through after running the coppermelt and it comes out same color it goes in with no traces of copper on it.
I did my ruger #1 to which I have no idea how many rounds went through it as I bought it off of here a few months ago.
It cleaned up in three or four patches and I fired about 20 rounds through her last season for deer season and never cleaed it until just a few weeks ago.
This stuff is great and I will be getting four more bottles of it next payday which will make 10 bottles total I have in personal storage.
Dave

GG -- shot 3 cleaning looks just like shot 8 -- i though copper fouling was supposed to decline with break in?

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I use it almost everyday for normal cleaning.

Jb's is a good cleaner, it just takes a little longer and is the messiest of all copper removers. It can be overused in my opinion as there are mild, mild, mild, abrasives in it. I once ran out of lapping compound for a ring lapping kit so I used JB's instead! It took way longer than normal to lap with it but it still did the job!

THe moag has been retired for awhile as the dies need some attention. They are not squeezing the web in enough so we are having them chrome lined.

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you are having way too much fun with your new camera, but you left out the pic's of 7mmrhb's ultimate bedding job and fiftydriver's awesome metal work.
UB

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the new camera but I figured I had better let you take pics of the metal work and the bedding job!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shot 3 cleaning looks just like shot 8

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The point was that the gun <font color="blue"> WAS </font> broke in by the 3rd shot dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-4

On your brass situation...arse too fat...that usually means you need to just retire the brass.

How many times has the "tight at the rear" stuff been fired?

curious to see how the chrome lining turns out...who's doin it?

JB

GG,
I think if they paid for advertising you should be set up for life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On a side note, I finally got a dropper from the pharmacy and used Coppermelt to clean my .340wby. I had shot 16 rounds through it and it cleaned up in 5 patches. So my first experience with it was not a true indicator.. obviously for me the sterile dropper was the key.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.