Copper Bullet Performance... what works?

Which option does your rifle prefer?

• Cutting Edge

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Hammer

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Barnes

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Nosler Etip

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Hornady GMX

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
I think you should give them a try. They do hold together. The way I explain them is the shed the front of the bullet like a lead based to give the massive internal trauma of the lead. That happens down to the base of the drilled hole. Then it becomes much like a solid and will continue through.
Same concept for the cutting edge and hammers. So this could put it in perspective. I hunt mainly with a 300blk. 100gr driven at 2550 fps.
I have shot very large whitetail from Kansas and Michigan at all kinds of weird angles. Never been able to catch the shank. Have caught the petals in the animal but never the shank. I've also shot several hundred pigs with them. Some as large as 250-260 lbs. again never caught the base shank. That's all with a relatively under powered cartridge. Imagine what the larger more powerful cartirde can do. Just look how much it took for Steve to catch a bullet in that eland. Those are incredibly thick hide large animals.

I like to think of them as a hybrid design with the way the perform. Shedding some weight causing massive internal damage with the nose of the base being flat causing additional damage on Its way out.

Yes. What we were after, when searching for a copper alloy that would do what we expected, was as rapid as possible full deformation of the bullet. When we made the transition to our current pure copper alloy the on game terminal performance became noticeably more dramatic. We were very fortunate to find a foundry that would work with us on the recipe. Most will not.

Yes. What we were after, when searching for a copper alloy that would do what we expected, was as rapid as possible full deformation of the bullet. When we made the transition to our current pure copper alloy the on game terminal performance became noticeably more dramatic. We were very fortunate to find a foundry that would work with us on the recipe. Most will not.

What is the difference in the Sledge hammer bullet and the hammer hunter? I am looking to load some for a Browning BLR in .308 w/ 20" barrel.

What is the difference in the Sledge hammer bullet and the hammer hunter? I am looking to load some for a Browning BLR in .308 w/ 20" barrel.
Look here on the home page of our site. https://hammerbullets.com/

It is pretty close to the top of the page. I am guess that your short barrel 308 is not set up for long range hunting past 500y, so the Sledge Hammer would be the best choice. They just hit hard.

Just curious what everyone's using, what animals they're used for when hunting, the distances used, and their performance on game.
I've shot several bear with my .358 Winchester (200gr TTSX bt), 35 Whelen (225gr. TSX), and 30-06 (180 gr TSX). All of the shots were at close range 50-75 yards, all pass throughs and never found the bullet. The bear that I shot with the 30-06 had a large entry hole once it got under the skin, traveled the entire length of the bear and exited just behind the shoulder with a hole that you could put your fist in. When skinning the bear out, the guide told me that the entry hole was the exit hole, I told him it wasn't and he agreed once he saw the exit hole behind the shoulder. I shot my last bear at 70 yards with the 35 Whelen, caught the bear in the middle of the chest, the bear was looking at me from a quartering stance, and the bullet exited just behind the left shoulder. The exit hole had lung tissue in it, the exit hole was the size of your fist. That is my experience with bullet performance with copper bullets. Now we shoot the same Barnes bullets at 8 inch plates at 300 yards. Although we are hitting plates with the Barnes bullets, the Whelens by far like the Sierra Game King 225gr boat tail bullets and shoot more consistently. I am not saying that Barnes makes the best bullet on the market, they just are the ones that we have had experience with.

Wasn't too impressed with the 80gr TTSX for .243, It killed everything I turned it loose on don't get me wrong! Just very controlled with the damage. Like a drill bit almost. Same with the 300 gr TTSX in .458.

Now my buddy shoots the 225s out of his 338LM the exit on this female aoudad was fist size with half the lung hanging out...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts