Cooler Grate

On a 26 hour drive from out west, I only replenish the ice once or maybe twice. I am able to do this as long as I keep the plug open and the water drained. When I get home, some of the meat is near frozen, which won't be that cold if water is present.

For those that find raw metal non-SS grates for this purpose. there is a product called "Plasti-dip" found in various colors for coating your tools. it works well and can be brushed on. I have used it on numerous occasions for very similar purposes. I coated a huge meat rack at the outfitter I used to work at. the Chome was pealing off of the rack so I had to get the metal coated before the Elk season started. saved the outfitter about $2,500.00 for a new rack for the meat cooler.

I don't agree on sitting in water since whatever is in the cooler can "flavor" the meat as well. I prefer knowing the meat is iced down and water drains down below the shelf so it can be easily withdrawn through the cooler drain.

Justme2: You may not be seeing the shelf correctly. The shelf has edges that are turned downward on the long side and I placed a vinyl trim piece down the center to match up to the shelf edges so you have three points holding the shelf up; two from the shelf design and one from the vinyl trim.

I don't agree on sitting in water since whatever is in the cooler can "flavor" the meat as well. I prefer knowing the meat is iced down and water drains down below the shelf so it can be easily withdrawn through the cooler drain.

Justme2: You may not be seeing the shelf correctly. The shelf has edges that are turned downward on the long side and I placed a vinyl trim piece down the center to match up to the shelf edges so you have three points holding the shelf up; two from the shelf design and one from the vinyl trim.

Yes, I couldn't see the bottom part of your grate. I see your point about sitting in stagnant water. I usually drain mine a few times as the ice melts and then add more ice, so it doesn't sit in dirty water that long. Never had a problem so far and the meat looked clean. More than one way to skin a cat as they say.

I've used wood to make platform to set my game meat on for trip home and never satisfied with how the wood just got crappy from all the fluids etc. Threw out every time but still didn't like it near the meat. I was in Menards other day walking past the shelving area and noticed the metal grill shelving. Wondered if they would fit in 150 qt cooler. Sized up cooler and went back and found a shelf that was almost perfect fit; close enough. I then added a small piece of vinyl trim with SS washers and screws for added support in middle of shelf. It fit precisely the same height as the shelf. I like what I see and hopefully will test it out 2nd rifle CO. This will provide nice easy drain of water from cooler and prevent water hiking up into the meat. I like I can power wash it or just soak it in cooler with hot soapy water to clean both out after trip for another trip. Its not SS but covered with vinyl which I hope will last a few trips.
As I got older I always load a 6' deep freeze on my trailer and take it along. I know not everyone has the room but I put it on my trailer and load the quads or utvs behind it. There is no accounting for weather but I never spoil any meat... anymore.

Great idea--I've thought about something like this for a while, but seeing your photos have convinced me to try it this season.

I accidentally made something like this out of PVC. My intent was to make reusable ice packs for my cooler. I cut lengths of 1-1/2"PVC to fill the entire bottom of my cooler. I glued one end cap on and filled the tubes with water with some room for expansion then glued the other end cap on. They just barely fit in freezer which is where I leave them all year. When I'm going hunting I throw them in my cooler. They work great to pre-chill the cooler and then allow the melting ice to drain past the meat.

Last edited:
I use a steel wire shelf with 6" post legs. 6" is enough clearance for me to freeze 2.5 gallon contains of water (some drained for expansion) and place them below the shelf. In my large coolers, I get 3 ice containers in (7.5 gallons). My meat sits on top, cold and dry. No need to drain anything. This setup stays cold for 7-10 days, in my experience.

I use a steel wire shelf with 6" post legs. 6" is enough clearance for me to freeze 2.5 gallon contains of water (some drained for expansion) and place them below the shelf. In my large coolers, I get 3 ice containers in (7.5 gallons). My meat sits on top, cold and dry. No need to drain anything. This setup stays cold for 7-10 days, in my experience.

What is the average outside temperature when you are using them? TIA

What is the average outside temperature when you are using them? TIA

I have used this setup for an August pronghorn hunt in Nevada (70-90 degrees). That hunt didn't last a week, but I still had ice in the jugs after 5 days. More typical temps might be 30s-40s at night and 50s-60s during the day. Late season hunts are colder, but keeping ice then is not a challenge.

I have used this setup for an August pronghorn hunt in Nevada (70-90 degrees). That hunt didn't last a week, but I still had ice in the jugs after 5 days. More typical temps might be 30s-40s at night and 50s-60s during the day. Late season hunts are colder, but keeping ice then is not a challenge.

Thank you for your reply. Looks like this year we are looking at 80+ degrees during the day and 50's at night and well be out there 5 days max. I'm going to try the gallon jugs one one ice chest and small frozen water bottles on another.

Thanks again

I came up with a cheap fix for keeping the meat out of the water.
I use 165 qt. ice chests, but this works with any large ones.
I went to a home improvement type store and purchased vinyl rain gutter downspout (rectangular tubes). I cut them to match the length of the ice chest interior. And lay them flat in the bottom.
Bag the quarters in garbage bags (keep the game bag on, if desired, and drop them into the plastic bag). Now, before everyone reacts to the plastic bag issue, just keep in mind that this works without trouble.
Lay the bagged meat in on top of the tubes, keeping the opening end of the bags up high in the ice chest.
Cover with ice to just shy of the top.
As the ice melts, it drains across the bags (a most efficient cooling technique) and collects in the bottom, in the tubes that you cut. Drain the chest every stop and top off ice during your trip home.
Meat comes home perfectly cool/cold and stays out of the water/slosh. It doesn't freeze up (which makes butchering a longer/tougher job).
For really hot trips across the western high deserts, we cover the ice chest with a moving blanket (or sleeping bag), even if inside a trailer.
Ice lasts longer than you'd think.

I use Dry Ice. Colder, lasts longer, no mess. Lots of grocery stores and Walmarts here in Wyoming have it.
Make sure you don't put dry ice in a cooler in an inside compartment. We had two coolers full of meat coming back from Canada. We were in a Tahoe. One cooler was on a trailer hitch carrier, the other inside. Made us sick. The meat traveled fine though DUH!!!