Cooler Grate

Discussion in 'How To Hunt Big Game' started by Muddyboots, Sep 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Muddyboots

Muddyboots Well-Known Member

I've used wood to make platform to set my game meat on for trip home and never satisfied with how the wood just got crappy from all the fluids etc. Threw out every time but still didn't like it near the meat. I was in Menards other day walking past the shelving area and noticed the metal grill shelving. Wondered if they would fit in 150 qt cooler. Sized up cooler and went back and found a shelf that was almost perfect fit; close enough. I then added a small piece of vinyl trim with SS washers and screws for added support in middle of shelf. It fit precisely the same height as the shelf. I like what I see and hopefully will test it out 2nd rifle CO. This will provide nice easy drain of water from cooler and prevent water hiking up into the meat. I like I can power wash it or just soak it in cooler with hot soapy water to clean both out after trip for another trip. Its not SS but covered with vinyl which I hope will last a few trips.

Attached Files:

LVJ76, Boman, Treynol1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

Genius! Wish I had thought of that. You are making me feel stupid... Love this site! Thanks.

3. joseph singleton

joseph singleton Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Boy you just might be on to something,,Thanks

4. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

ive used an oven baking cooling rack before, that shelf looks to be a bit taller though --mine looked similar to this:
    [​IMG]

5. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

I always just reach in the bloody mix of ice, meat, and water to move the meat stopping up the drain hole. Usually get my shirtsleeve wet, and its always my turn when its really cold or raining, sleeting, snowing, etc....

LVJ76 likes this.
  6. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Excellent!

7. Treynol1

Treynol1 Active Member

Great idea. I am heading to Home Depot this weekend to outfit my coolers.

8. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Never thought of this, but what a great idea. Thanks for posting.

9. ericbc7

ericbc7 Well-Known Member

So does the grate just sit on the ice? Or are there legs involved?
    Good tip on the shelf!
    Edit: oh I see it goes under the ice to make draining easier, correct?

10. 19elkhunter51

19elkhunter51 Well-Known Member

Over the years I have heard and read about not allowing your meat to sit in the water. Due to the length of our return trip home and despite our best efforts we have had our meat in the water. We now believe that if you keep everything packed with ice, the meat only ages with no spoilage.
    I can't begin to tell you how much sleep we have lost worrying about the meat sitting in the water. To this day we have not lost any meat and being in the water seems to take some of the blood out of the meat.
    My last trip with game in a cooler was whitetail killed and boned in Kansas and taken to Nevada where my wife and processed the meat. Added ice twice just to fill the coolers.
    We don't have any Menards here but I will keep an eye out for shelving somewhere else.

11. JustMe2

JustMe2 Well-Known Member

Nice idea, but your "support" isn't supporting anything unless it is turned vertical to touch the bottom of your ice chest like the side legs. From your picture, it appears it may be tying your grill together side to side, but not "supporting" it. Hope this suggestion helps.

12. JustMe2

JustMe2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. The water actually insulates the meat better than letting the air circulate around it. Meat sitting in the icy water has no negative effect on the meat and actually helps clean it and get the blood, bile, etc taste out of the meat just like when you clean the meat at home to remove blood clots, fat, sinew, etc. to make the meat taste better.

13. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

I myself wouldn't want the metal on my meat..as the bloods and such can corrode it.....i use plastic kitchen counter drainers...load them up and pull each out when ready to cut...can also stack them inside the coolers...ice blocks on end between the drainers.....

14. BigDon

BigDon Member

I use Dry Ice. Colder, lasts longer, no mess. Lots of grocery stores and Walmarts here in Wyoming have it.