Cooler Grate

Muddyboots

I've used wood to make platform to set my game meat on for trip home and never satisfied with how the wood just got crappy from all the fluids etc. Threw out every time but still didn't like it near the meat. I was in Menards other day walking past the shelving area and noticed the metal grill shelving. Wondered if they would fit in 150 qt cooler. Sized up cooler and went back and found a shelf that was almost perfect fit; close enough. I then added a small piece of vinyl trim with SS washers and screws for added support in middle of shelf. It fit precisely the same height as the shelf. I like what I see and hopefully will test it out 2nd rifle CO. This will provide nice easy drain of water from cooler and prevent water hiking up into the meat. I like I can power wash it or just soak it in cooler with hot soapy water to clean both out after trip for another trip. Its not SS but covered with vinyl which I hope will last a few trips.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,547
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 473
I've used wood to make platform to set my game meat on for trip home and never satisfied with how the wood just got crappy from all the fluids etc. Threw out every time but still didn't like it near the meat. I was in Menards other day walking past the shelving area and noticed the metal grill shelving. Wondered if they would fit in 150 qt cooler. Sized up cooler and went back and found a shelf that was almost perfect fit; close enough. I then added a small piece of vinyl trim with SS washers and screws for added support in middle of shelf. It fit precisely the same height as the shelf. I like what I see and hopefully will test it out 2nd rifle CO. This will provide nice easy drain of water from cooler and prevent water hiking up into the meat. I like I can power wash it or just soak it in cooler with hot soapy water to clean both out after trip for another trip. Its not SS but covered with vinyl which I hope will last a few trips.
Boy you just might be on to something,,Thanks

Great idea. I am heading to Home Depot this weekend to outfit my coolers.

So does the grate just sit on the ice? Or are there legs involved?
Good tip on the shelf!
Edit: oh I see it goes under the ice to make draining easier, correct?

Over the years I have heard and read about not allowing your meat to sit in the water. Due to the length of our return trip home and despite our best efforts we have had our meat in the water. We now believe that if you keep everything packed with ice, the meat only ages with no spoilage.
I can't begin to tell you how much sleep we have lost worrying about the meat sitting in the water. To this day we have not lost any meat and being in the water seems to take some of the blood out of the meat.
My last trip with game in a cooler was whitetail killed and boned in Kansas and taken to Nevada where my wife and processed the meat. Added ice twice just to fill the coolers.
We don't have any Menards here but I will keep an eye out for shelving somewhere else.

Nice idea, but your "support" isn't supporting anything unless it is turned vertical to touch the bottom of your ice chest like the side legs. From your picture, it appears it may be tying your grill together side to side, but not "supporting" it. Hope this suggestion helps.

Over the years I have heard and read about not allowing your meat to sit in the water. Due to the length of our return trip home and despite our best efforts we have had our meat in the water. We now believe that if you keep everything packed with ice, the meat only ages with no spoilage.
I can't begin to tell you how much sleep we have lost worrying about the meat sitting in the water. To this day we have not lost any meat and being in the water seems to take some of the blood out of the meat.
My last trip with game in a cooler was whitetail killed and boned in Kansas and taken to Nevada where my wife and processed the meat. Added ice twice just to fill the coolers.
We don't have any Menards here but I will keep an eye out for shelving somewhere else.

Absolutely agree. The water actually insulates the meat better than letting the air circulate around it. Meat sitting in the icy water has no negative effect on the meat and actually helps clean it and get the blood, bile, etc taste out of the meat just like when you clean the meat at home to remove blood clots, fat, sinew, etc. to make the meat taste better.

I myself wouldn't want the metal on my meat..as the bloods and such can corrode it.....i use plastic kitchen counter drainers...load them up and pull each out when ready to cut...can also stack them inside the coolers...ice blocks on end between the drainers.....