Converting inch’s to mils

A fixed power scope has no erector so it's irrelevant whether it's a FFP or SFP...

All I'm trying to do is save the OP a bunch of headaches, Not add to them

If a fixed power scope had no erector you wouldn't be able to adjust it.

Get some sleep, my friend!

I think you'll have been drinking. 😜Lol. I guess using the metric system for so long that it makes all other math seem like I need to carry an abacus in my pack.
As someone mentioned using a reticle to measure; which is the easiest way. I'd caution, Just make sure you have a matching reticle to your knobs. there are some scopes out there that are MOA/MIL or MIL/MOA.

Ready? Try to follow because I'm not good at 'splainin.

63 yards will be ".63"

163 yards would be (1.63) 462 yards would be (4.62).... get the idea?

So .63 yards multiply by 3.6 inches (mil equivalent in inches @ 100 yards) EQUALS

2.268" per MIL @ 63 yards...
You pull out the calculator? lol. I did. Nice analogy though.

If you want to know one mil at a given distance in inches, convert the distance to inches and divide by 1000.

63 yards x 36 inches per yard = 2,268 inches. Divide by 1000 = 2.268 inches per mil at 63 yards. So your offset of 2.75 inches is 1.213 mils (2.75 inches / 2.268).

If you prefer to know mils at a given distance in cm or whatever other unit of measure, the math is the same. Just convert your distance to that unit and divide by 1000.

A mil by definition is simply one thousandth the distance, irrespective of the unit used.

This

Mils gets made way too complicated. A mil is 1/1000 the distance. All the goofy numbers come from our yds/feet/inches conversions. The 0.36 per click number comes from 36" to a yard 100yds=3600"=3.6mil so 1/10 (click value) is 0.36 per click.

63yds = 2268" divide that by 1000 = 2.268"per mil

Or do it T3ninja's way and get mil first then convert. The mil part is the easy part... DIVIDE BY 1000

Last edited:
If you think of it as two steps it might be easier.

Mils is 1/1000 the distance

Units are whatever you are changing to. 1 yard is 36". 1 meter is 1000cm. One cubit is 18" a long cubit is 22" a rod is 198" a mile is 63360" etc. One mil at a mile is 63.36" so each 1/10 mil click is 6.336" sorry being facetious. The point mil is easy it's unit conversion that get messy.

Like already suggested just use your reticle to get the dope. It doesn't matter if it's FFP, SFP, or fixed power. If needed, such as in SFP, set the scope on the appropriate magnification to be able to measure mils with your reticle. Then adjust your scope and confirm.

Another way to easily do this is just plug in your variables into a ballistics app. From the computer I just plugged in my bullets, velocity and so on and set the increments to 10 yards and 2000 yard range max. That will get to close, or the 60 yard dope.

Not sure what scope your running and your confidence in it, but like others have said use the reticle and I would also down load the Free Hornady app, it converts from MOA to mil rad with a press of a button, save your rifle and load data as MIL and it works without service, practice with it, its a great tool to have and in a pressure situation you don't need to do math. Good luck !

If a fixed power scope had no erector you wouldn't be able to adjust it.

Get some sleep, my friend!
I'm wide awake, You need to do your home work Neighbor, Elevation and windage adjustments while they are in the erector tube are not an erector,

• Erector Lens Assembly is an internal tube configuration containing the reticle, erector lens, and magnification lens. Once the target image passes through the reticle, it hits the erector lens assembly, which properly orients the image and sends it on to the magnification lens. Some technologies have the reticle built-in with the erector assembly. Reticles in front of a magnification lens is a first focal plane scope, and reticles behind the magnification lens are second focal plane scopes. Scope manufacturers have separated the erector lens assembly from the reticle and magnification components while others have combined these features. Stick with a quality company, and you should be fine with either configuration.
. An erector assembly contains two lenses that flip the image so that it is right-side-up. The erector assembly can also contain the additional magnifying lenses for a variable magnification scope.

Back to you

Last edited:
Right...? I'm not sure why all the conversions are being suggested.... there really isn't a need to convert anything....

The guy asked how to figure out what 1 MIL is at 63 yards.... no need to convert anything to Centimeters, meters, feet or anything else.. yes MILS are an angular measurement always growing/shrinking with distance....

Baseline is 100 yards/3.6 inches
We know that..

So, 63 yards is 63/100 or .63 as a decimal so you can use the calculator easily.

.63(yards) times the 3.6 inches at 100 yards. That gives you the MIL equivalent of inches at 63 yards.

If you want to know what your 1/10 mil scope click value is, just move the decimal where it belongs to .36 then do the same solution. .36 multiplied by .63 yards=.2268"

Unless I don't understand the question. This is what comes to mind

You pull out the calculator? lol. I did. Nice analogy though.

Right...? I'm not sure why all the conversions are being suggested.... there really isn't a need to convert anything....

The guy asked how to figure out what 1 MIL is at 63 yards.... no need to convert anything to Centimeters, meters, feet or anything else.. yes MILS are an angular measurement always growing/shrinking with distance....

Baseline is 100 yards/3.6 inches
We know that..

So, 63 yards is 63/100 or .63 as a decimal so you can use the calculator easily.

.63(yards) times the 3.6 inches at 100 yards. That gives you the MIL equivalent of inches at 63 yards.

If you want to know what your 1/10 mil scope click value is, just move the decimal where it belongs to .36 then do the same solution. .36 multiplied by .63 yards=.2268"

Unless I don't understand the question. This is what comes to mind
I think all the conversions came due to the question of how to convert 2 3/4 inches into mils at 63 yards. I might be wrong but since you came up with 1/10th mil click equals .2268" at 63 yards that's still a conversion. Although it is useful to the OP depending on how his mind works with math. Using the reticle properly would be the non conversion method. As long as the dials were in mils. Nice conversion btw.