Converting a .338 RUM to edge

LjMann22

Hey guys,
I have a remington 700 LH in 338 Rum and I would like to convert it to .338 edge what steps do I need to take to make it happen? If it is possible.

Thanks gun)

Put a 338-300 RUM reamer in it will take care of the barrel part. Then you will need to make some modifications probably to make it a repeater with the slightly longer case. But why would you want to go to the trouble? There are some smart people at remington that tested this thing extensively and made a good decision with the 338 RUM for the standard rem 700 action. You are going to cause yourself a good bit of trouble and expense and end up with a rifle that does the same thing and serves the same purpose.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Reasons why I would want to change are

1-the edge is cheaper to reload in that it uses less powder for same results.
2-it has less recoil resulting in better accuracy
3- the edge can shoot up to a 300gr. bullet where the Rum is only recommended to 250 gr.
4- Slightly higher velocity on equivalent bullets and loads
5- Slightly higher energy on equivalent bullets and loads
6- Considerably higher Ballistic Coefficient when using the 300 gr. sierra match king

I know all of these are subject to load. I am still trying to gather all my facts any help in correcting me or expounding on what I have stated would be appreciated.

thanks

1. edge is more expensive to reload
2. same recoil
3. both shoot the 300 SMK with equal effectiveness between 2700-2800 fps with best accuracy out of your factory 26" barrel.
4. May or may not get higher velocity but it will not make enough difference to make a difference if you do.
6. both shoot the 300 SMK just fine and use the same accuracy loads of 91-92 grains of H-1000 or 95 or so grains of Retumbo.

If your 338 RUM barrel does not shoot the 300 grainers well it will not shoot them any better with the 338-300 RUM.

What you will find is dies will cost quite a bit more and you have the process of necking 300 RUM to 338 caliber. Also the slightly longer 300 RUM case is going to cost you to modify your action and buy a new magazine to make it a slick repeater. It is very popular and many people do it to shoot basically the same as my 338 RUM. I built many 338-300's until 2001 when the 338 RUM came out. Now I hunt with my factory 338 RUM if I use the RUM case in 338.

You are better to keep what you have or order a custom barrel if your does not shoot well. Then you can make the decision whether to further customize your rifle to fit the 338-300. I chose to quit doing the wildcat in 2001 and shoot the factory round. Others choose differently.

I am not the guru and others have other opinions but that is what I found.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Reasons why I would want to change are

1-the edge is cheaper to reload in that it uses less powder for same results.
2-it has less recoil resulting in better accuracy
3- the edge can shoot up to a 300gr. bullet where the Rum is only recommended to 250 gr.
4- Slightly higher velocity on equivalent bullets and loads
5- Slightly higher energy on equivalent bullets and loads
6- Considerably higher Ballistic Coefficient when using the 300 gr. sierra match king

I know all of these are subject to load. I am still trying to gather all my facts any help in correcting me or expounding on what I have stated would be appreciated.

thanks
Seriously?

Yes, seriously that is either stuff I have read or been told. The only correction that I need to make was with the first point being cheaper because I was told the brass price was the difference being the advantage to the edge because of the brass you can use, but it requires more labor.

I think for now I will get a good scope, a good barrel, a box a shells and have some fun.

I do appreciate yall's input and for now I am going to go see what it can do at the range.

Thanks

300 RUM and 338RUM brass are the same price. Nobody was working with the 338-300 RUM before me unless it was remington developement. Maybe some about the same time but nobody earlier that I am aware of. I worked with it hard from late 1998 till 2001 when the 338 RUM came out. I tested both extensvely on the range at my shop. Few would know both cartridges as well or better than me. I would venture to say there is more hands on experience on this site with these cartridges than anywhere else. Several guys have quite a bit of experience with these here. They are both very good long range big game cartridges. Either will do anything the other will. Just personal prefference.

If you tested 100 barrels in each the 338-300 rum should average out with a slight velocity advantage with slightly more case capacity. But they both occupy close to the same numbers and the best accuracy in either could be faster than the next guy with either. In other words one guy might get 2750 fps best accuracy with one and 2850 fps with the other. The next guy may get the exact opposite. They are just to close to call. I can tell you from quite a bit of experience with both either will do anything the other will in a hunting situation. The 338's take quite a bit of powder to make a slight velocity difference between cartridges. These two RUM's are about 125 fps faster than the 340 Weatherby and it takes about 10 grains more powder to do it. The 338-378 wby is about 200 fps faster than these two RUM's and it takes about 20 more grains of powder to do that. Since the best accuracy with these two are within 1-2 grains of powder how much velocity difference will there be?

What part of Alabama are you from? Sniper2 on here is in Centre and had one of the first 338-300 Rum's ever built at my shop. He can tell you about it if you are near there. They are excellent rifles.

Just to add to that the new 338 SIN Sinarms is working on is about halfway between the 340 wby and the RUM's in powder capacity but in initial testing it looks like he will get at least high 2700's with the 300 grainers. There is just not much difference in 338's unless you get a bunch more powder involved.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.