Convert Win M70 300 RUM to 338 Edge?

rcdinaz

Has anyone done this with a M70 action and is their a smith you would recommend?

My thought is by next year I may need to rebarrel it and I already want to add an extended magazine so I am not far from just rebuilding the gun. I just dont see many people doing changes on the Winchester's so don't know what my options are for getting the work done right.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I wish I was in your predicament. I posted a question simmilar to this in the gunsmith section & got lots of feedback. The differance was, I have a Model-70 Win, 300 Wby that I wanted to turn into a 300 RUM. In short my action is just a tic too short & would require extensive work to the mag, the rails etc. to even cycle.

You on the other hand already have the proper action length so yours would be quite doable I would think.

I'm a model-70 freak, so I'd love to see you do one up in an edge. If nobody bites on this thread, post it in the gunsmithing section.
J.E. Customs will probably chime in, & some other really knowledgable & reputable smiths.

Winmag, thanks for the feedback and advice!

I have a few Rem 700's that are great but I still really like the M70. I grew up shooting a Win 270 so that may have something to do with it but the Win action just seems so solid, more so than any of the others I have.

Let me know how it turns out if you go that route. My buddy's dad has a 300RUM in a CRF Win m70 he has thought about an edge or 338RUM as well.

M70 is a great action. It will do the job.

Some smiths simply choose only to work on one make/model action.

But, most any of the smiths in these forums who are willing to work on your M70 will do a great job.

Going from 300 RUM to 338 Edge should be about as easy as it gets. ...just rebarrel and chamber/headspace accordingly. You may need a Wyatt's magazine conversion if you seat the big VLDs to the lands. ...or, just use it as a single shot.

I just rebarreld my M70 from 25-06 to 6.5x284 and it's giving consistent 1/2 MOA results at 500yds with precious little load development.

Some might argue that the action and smaller barrel tenon of the M70 as compared to the Rem 700 may lead to more flexing in a large magnum like the RUM/Edge. But, I expect it'll be just fine if it's trued up and has a good custom barrel.

How does the rifle shoot now as a 300 RUM?

-- richard

thanks!

It shoots good at times, I hav had 1/2" groups but 1-1.5 is more te norm. With a sporter weight barrel and stock it is no surprise it is a bit tough to shoot great goups it also heats up real quick. It is in a bedded Borden stock and has been accurized, it also killed my one per lifetime Desert Bighorn. I hava a 7 mm Dakota now so I wanted something a little larger.

A lot of factory sporter barrels are bad about heating up and throwing shots.

A good custom barrel, especially in a little heavier contour, will make a huge difference.

-- richard

I went through the same problem about 2 years ago, I bought a really cheap M70 7WSM that I wanted to upgrade to a heavier and more accurate 7WSM. I sent the rifle off to Jim See at Center Shot Rifles and he turned out a great looking rifle exactly how I wanted it. Prices were very competitive and I don't think I've ever heard one person complain about Jim's work. I liked it so much he is building me another one right now :D I highly recommend him!

Brian,

Good feedback! I have a rifle on order with Jim already in 7RM. One it is done I will talk to him about the M70. I had forgotten he worked on M70's some times, I saw your rifle on his site last year when I was checking out his work.

I will probably talk to Kevin Weaver as suggested as well. Have to wait until I have the current project completely paid for to start the next one.

Thanks for all the responses, happy shooting!

Here are my two M70 weaver smithed rifles.

Jon

6mm-06
IMAG0045.jpg

.223AI
IMAG0033.jpg

Jim built my 338 Edge on a M70 action, extended mag also. A very accurate rifle, Jim has a target from it at the shop. He also built a 7 STW on a M70 that is on his site, Black and Red Thumbhole stock all Black metal work. She is atarting to really like 180 bergers. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.