Convert .300 win mag to .338 edge

joe0121

Very interested in .338 Edge. I have a .300 win mag on a Remington 700 action can it be converted to .338 edge? I already have another barrel on the way from kreiger I still have a couple weeks to change the order to .338. Also what twist rate would you guys recommend?

Yes it can, the 300 win mag and 338 edge use the same boltface dimensions. The only things that might need changing are the magazine feeding rails opened up slightly and you may need to have the magazine lengthened slightly to make the most of the bullets like the 300 SMK or 300 Berger.
As for barrel, a 30" 1 in 10" twist is popular.

Read the article on here by Shawn Carlock http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/338-edge-1.php

Stu.

I just finished having an edge built for me starting with that exact platform. Just finished shooting it yesterday and it works great. They had to open up the feed rails a little and mill the bolt stop to accomodate the longer box mag. The one difference i did notice is if you stick with the floor plate and box mag you will only get two rounds in the mag. It only takes one though right.lol. Good luck and keep us posted.

Where do you guys get your brass/dies etc anyone out there selling the ammo? That's my biggest problem an availability and cost of ammo. Also is it possible to get a .308 barrel rechamber to .338 I already have a new one order with a break at 27 inches. Deciding between 1/9 or 1/10 twist.

Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge will have dies for sale. otherwise most manufactuers should have them, they might be called 338/300 RUM.
Brass is simply 300 RUM necked up to 338. Don't know if anyone is making loaded ammo for the Edge.
If your your barrel is a cut-rifled barrel I think it is possible to get a .308 changed to .338, but it is probably easier just to order a new 338. Button rifled barrels cannot be changed from 308 to 338.

i converted my winmag to .338edge... all thats required is to screw in a new barrel, and ever so slightly open up the bottom of the reciever so the rounds feed up from the magazine properly. Its literally a fly **** that you need to remove and i did mine myself using a dremel.

You will want to install an extended length magazine aswell as the overall length of a .338 edge with a 300gr projectile cartridge is too long for the factory internal box mag.

Thats all you NEED to do, however i would continue on a bit further and put a timney or jewel trigger on it as the remington triggers arnt very good IMHO. And of course make sure your stock and bedding is sound, your done.

i converted my winmag to .338edge... all thats required is to screw in a new barrel, and ever so slightly open up the bottom of the reciever so the rounds feed up from the magazine properly. Its literally a fly **** that you need to remove and i did mine myself using a dremel.

You will want to install an extended length magazine aswell as the overall length of a .338 edge with a 300gr projectile cartridge is too long for the factory internal box mag.

Thats all you NEED to do, however i would continue on a bit further and put a timney or jewel trigger on it as the remington triggers arnt very good IMHO. And of course make sure your stock and bedding is sound, your done.
Who did the conversion and how much did it cost?

I did it all myself... That's how easy it is...

Order yourself a go gauge and screw your new barrel with cut chamber into the action hard up against the go gauge with bolt closed. Do the other stuff with basic tools. if You don't feel comfortable doing it, a gunsmith should not charge more than a couple hundred dollars to do it all for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.