Consistency with my 300WM???

How does the TTSX do on deer/antelope?
Haven't taken an antelope with this load, but the smallest game I have taken was a coyote at 181 yards. Left a 2" hole in the opposite side. It dropped where it stood. I may try it on a WY doe antelope this year since I drew a tag.
So far I have been impressed using it in the 300 WM.

I use RL 22 and 168g VLD Berger hunting bullets, i"m not at home to get the exact amount of powder but i am running them .010 off the lands, out of the same rifle. Shoots lights out one of my most accurate guns in the safe, yes, a heavy gun.

You need to try a different scope to rule out a potential issue with the one you're using.
I've thought about that too....

I'm gonna clean it out this evening, I'll let WIPE OUT sit in the barrel till tomorrow and see how much crud I get out of it...

I'm definitely gonna check the screws again and make sure everything is tight, I normally do the stock bump to make sure the lug is seated good against the bedding block.
I'd also suggest cleaning the bore and remove ALL the copper you can. When it came to monos or Accubonds I'd spend up to three days getting the bore clean.
Lovely....that sounds like great fun lol

I'm gonna do a scope swap to verify things, reload the same 166gr HH loads and retry, but also try some different powder/bullet combo say a lead core bullet with one of these powders mentioned. See if that makes any difference....I'll report back on my results. If I remember right, I've got maybe 45rds on this cleaning, but I'll do a deep clean this weekend and start from scratch next week.
Thanks again everyone!!!
Scooter

You need to try a different scope to rule out a potential issue with the one you're using.
Beat me to it. I'd definitely start hear. And your mounting system. Especially if you're getting some good groups, and some crappy groups with the same exact load. If your groups are wondering around the bullseye, that's a tell tale sign also.

I've thought about that too....

I'm gonna clean it out this evening, I'll let WIPE OUT sit in the barrel till tomorrow and see how much crud I get out of it...

I'm definitely gonna check the screws again and make sure everything is tight, I normally do the stock bump to make sure the lug is seated good against the bedding block.

Lovely....that sounds like great fun lol

I'm gonna do a scope swap to verify things, reload the same 166gr HH loads and retry, but also try some different powder/bullet combo say a lead core bullet with one of these powders mentioned. See if that makes any difference....I'll report back on my results. If I remember right, I've got maybe 45rds on this cleaning, but I'll do a deep clean this weekend and start from scratch next week.
Thanks again everyone!!!
Scooter
JME, but my accuracy has always been best after a couple of fouling shots of conventional bullets before using Barnes bullets. I have always tried to foul my barrels before going on a hunt with any cartridge, 7mm-08, 30-06, 300 WM, and 375 H&H.

Hey guys,

I picked up a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter 300WM at Cabela's on clearance about 18mos ago with the intention of using it for elk hunt this fall.(heavier than I wanted but…) Got my scope this spring and started shooting some and accuracy has been just so so. So, I'm asking for some opinions/help.

Here's my setup:

Savage LRH 300WM w/accutrigger

Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44

Warne Maxima ring and bases

Ammo:

I've tried a little bit of factory ammo, mostly just to get it on paper(due to ammo shortages)

Reloads: I was really wanting to try an all copper bullet (for penetration in case of a bad shot angle) so I started with the Barnes 180gr ttsx.

Brass: Started with some 1x fired Rem brass I had, now using new Peterson Long.

Primers: Fed 215s

Barnes TTSX
IMR 4831
I had a couple of groups right at 1MOA at .1 off. Farther off and closer opened my groups up to as much as 2in. I thought the rifle should/could do better.

166gr Hammer Hunter bullets

IMR 4350

Initial loads looking for max looked promising. So the next loads I tried in the 70-72gr range I had 2 groups right at or just under .5 MOA (3 shots). I thought I'd hit the jackpot. (I shot 3 groups….groups 1 and 3 were great, group 2 not so much)

Tried to repeat the load…..haven't been able to come close…..best I've gotten is around 1.25 MOA.

Im really struggling to find much consistency with this rifle. I've checked to make sure all is tight, making sure my technique is consistent (and good).

Couple things I thought about.

1)Trying a lead core bullet and see if there's a noticeable difference in accuracy….but with today's availability, I'm not sure how much I can try

I have a few more powders available, a couple pounds each of IMR 7828, H-1000, Re-22, Retumbo.

2) I've only shot the rifle with the brake open….would closing it make a difference in accuracy?

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

Scooter
180 Barnes try 7828 you'll be happy close to or at max charge you will have to find the jump the rifle likes.
The 168 TTSX as others have said will punch through elk and moose at any appropriate ranges where velocity is where it needs to be. I currently use the 168 TTSX in my 300WM have never recovered one on elk or moose.

Hey guys,

I picked up a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter 300WM at Cabela's on clearance about 18mos ago with the intention of using it for elk hunt this fall.(heavier than I wanted but…) Got my scope this spring and started shooting some and accuracy has been just so so. So, I'm asking for some opinions/help.

Here's my setup:

Savage LRH 300WM w/accutrigger

Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44

Warne Maxima ring and bases

Ammo:

I've tried a little bit of factory ammo, mostly just to get it on paper(due to ammo shortages)

Reloads: I was really wanting to try an all copper bullet (for penetration in case of a bad shot angle) so I started with the Barnes 180gr ttsx.

Brass: Started with some 1x fired Rem brass I had, now using new Peterson Long.

Primers: Fed 215s

Barnes TTSX
IMR 4831
I had a couple of groups right at 1MOA at .1 off. Farther off and closer opened my groups up to as much as 2in. I thought the rifle should/could do better.

166gr Hammer Hunter bullets

IMR 4350

Initial loads looking for max looked promising. So the next loads I tried in the 70-72gr range I had 2 groups right at or just under .5 MOA (3 shots). I thought I'd hit the jackpot. (I shot 3 groups….groups 1 and 3 were great, group 2 not so much)

Tried to repeat the load…..haven't been able to come close…..best I've gotten is around 1.25 MOA.

Im really struggling to find much consistency with this rifle. I've checked to make sure all is tight, making sure my technique is consistent (and good).

Couple things I thought about.

1)Trying a lead core bullet and see if there's a noticeable difference in accuracy….but with today's availability, I'm not sure how much I can try

I have a few more powders available, a couple pounds each of IMR 7828, H-1000, Re-22, Retumbo.

2) I've only shot the rifle with the brake open….would closing it make a difference in accuracy?

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

Scooter
I shoot Barnes in 4 of my rifles 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 280ai and 30 06. All like a jump off the lands between 0.050 through 0.075. Barnes tend to like a big jump

Try shooting groups of 5-7-9 -etc. and see what happens. Are you using a chronograph? That could really help you diagnose your problem. Have you run ladders or an OCW? Looking for equipment problems is human nature but I feel like you're leaving a lot on the table. Consider that many of the powders you have listed are temp sensitive. Are you taking this into consideration (see chrono)? Enjoy the ride!

Ill have to go back and check my overall length but I went .05, .100, .150, then .185 off...... 0.1 was the best but still not great....
Scooter
These are huge jumps in COAL. Start closer to the lands like .005 off and move 10 thousandths from there. 50 thousandths is almost not useful.... you'll miss the sweet spot.

I use RL 22 and 168g VLD Berger hunting bullets, i"m not at home to get the exact amount of powder but i am running them .010 off the lands, out of the same rifle. Shoots lights out one of my most accurate guns in the safe, yes, a heavy gun.
Watched buddy swap H1000 to Re22 behind 190 Berger VLD and go from .85 to .25 at .075 off lands in two different guns. Awesome!

I picked up a new savage 300WM also about a year ago. I've been running imr 7828. And a variety of balls. I've come to the conclusion 170 grains and up. And letting my barrel cool back down between shots works the best for accuracy. If I let it cool and snake it, it slams them on top of each other. Very finicky to say the least. Not all are the same.