Confirming Drops

Good point, Ammo temp was another one of my questions..........possible velocity changes that can't be predicted by a program. I had wondered if the ammo in question was getting warm enough to make it shoot higher and higher. The powder being used isn't supposed to be temp sensitive, but it sure seemed to be shooting higher on the sunny days..??

Loadbase3.0 has a function for temp changes for ammo, you have to shoot and crony some specific temp loads then it takes over. I haven't used a powder that seemed to need it so I haven't used it.

During competition, when it's hot out, and especialy if I don't have access to a covered storage area, I keep my ammo in a cooler. When things get hot, well, things get "hot". Speed goes up, and groups tend to go to hell. Bolts open hard on those loads that are "on the edge", making running a fast group smoothly almost impossable!!!

I don't worry about it for hunting season. I try and do my final load work right before season when temps are cool. Also, my bench is shaded by 100 foot tall cottonwood trees.....no cooking of ammo at my bench.

When I was testing a new bbl last winter, I kept my ammo in my truck with the heat on...about 70 degrees....along with my gun. Took them out , shot the groups quick, and put it back in the truck. Got pretty much the exact same velocitys as I did during final testing that summer. All I was after was the same "internal balistics" to check group size. The groups will be the same weather its 30 below or 100 above. They may print high or low due to temps "external balistics", but group sizes will be the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.