Concentricity Question

Here ya go, fellas. Another good 200 group...that didn't come anywhere close to repeating. This rifle WANTS to be stellar...I Know It Does!!!

20180207_052414.jpg
Here she is guys. Pretty and FINICKY....just like my 4 year-old!

Deputy, Could be something with the scope. Parallax adjustment. I would let somebody else shoot it like was mentioned.
I've wondered about that....on a couple occasions I have had to adjust the eye-piece on the scope for some reason even though the distance between my 200 yard target and my bench hasn't changed. Could it be the "nut behind the trigger" is changing positions? I Checked all the rings and base screws of course (they are solidly in place with blue loc-tite).

The way I posted, I did not want to offend you with the nut behind the trigger. When I was having trouble with my rum I have a good friend that shoots as good or better than me on a given day. Young eyes help him. The gun shot the same way. I never felt so good and had it rebarreled and it shoots bug holes now.

The way I posted, I did not want to offend you with the nut behind the trigger. When I was having trouble with my rum I have a good friend that shoots as good or better than me on a given day. Young eyes help him. The gun shot the same way. I never felt so good and had it rebarreled and it shoots bug holes now.
Oh no....you're fine. No offense taken whatsoever my friend. I was merely suggesting that the issue I'm experiencing could very well, in fact, be ME.

Definitely gonna let the Smith who built it for me shoot my handloads and see what he experiences with it. My Forster Coax Case Inspector should be in by Friday and maybe it will enlighten me on what the issue(s) might be. The combination of BR2 primers and IMR 4451 is producing very low numbers, but INCONSISTENT groups with Berger, Nosler and Speer bullets. Just started experimenting with Sierra's and dont have enough data as yet to form a conconclusion on their performance. Still in the middle of OCW tests.....

Have you changed anything in your load process? Are your SD's or velocities consistent, meaning were they the same with the nice little 1/4 group and the 4" group. I agree with Steve, take your buddy up on shooting it for you. I'd almost ask to bring my dies and components to his place and have him watch me load a round just to see if he has any secrets/suggestions. (Although it looks like you have a good system down already) I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Keep us informed please!

@dmoon
The only thing I've changed is bullet selection as of last week. Bought a box of Sierra 100gr GameKings as a "Hail Mary". By comparison the Sierra's are a bit "beefier" at the ogive than Berger, Nosler and Speer. Maybe this rifle will like Sierra's better as it does NOT seem to shoot long for caliber bullets consistently. I've performed 1 OCW test with the Sierra's keeping COAL the same at .020 off the lands (I'll post a pic of those results). As per the velocity and numbers being consistent between 1/4" group and 4" group (with Speer 100gr boat tails) I checked my log book and they are as follows:
45.9 gr IMR 4451 BR2 Primers
Yielded a .679" group at 200 yards.
Loaded again for confirmation
Yielded a 4" group at 200 yards.
Ever so slightly less velocity, but not enough to make such a huge difference I wouldn't think??

20180207_120727.jpg
OCW test with Sierra's at 200 yards using BR2 primers and IMR 4451. Interestingly enough there is really no vertical POI change from 44.6 gr and 45.5 gr. All 1.5 inches from center of group to center of target. This was with the arbitrary .020 off the lands. Havent played with seating depth yet with these bullets.

Do the 4" groups have a single flyer? Or do they just generally open up? I would try some 5 shot groups to see how they turn out.
They actually open WAY up which really confuses me. If it was a single flier I might be able to fiddle with it some and straighten it out.

I'm gonna throw a dart at the bore after looking at those speeds and say something is loose, or you shot the second group in a tornado.....I'm assuming you shot them off the same rest? This is another interesting one.

I'm gonna throw a dart at the bore after looking at those speeds and say something is loose, or you shot the second group in a tornado.....I'm assuming you shot them off the same rest? This is another interesting one.
Ha! Velocity is WAY UP THERE, huh? That's what my Caldwell chrony was showing. I'm sure there's some margin of error in there obviously, but yeah....those numbers are quite a bit above posted velocities for 4451 in any manual that has data for that powder. Even my minimum charge velocity isn't even close to posted minimums. Barrel is 26" by the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.