Components - How Far Will You Travel to Purchase a Brick of FM215?

How far will you travel?

• 100 Miles?

Votes: 67 87.0%
  • 500 Miles?

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • 1,000 Miles?

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
So with components being more scarce than politician integrity, how far will you drive to purchase certain components in person such as powder or primers? Is a days drive worth the time and gas cost for a brick of FM 215 primers?

Just how desperate are you?
Since I will be driving 19 miles to our new gun store 6 days a week....the answer is 19 miles for me.😉
Funny that you should ask. We do silly things when we're desperate. LOL

I was lamenting here on LRH about how badly I needed some Fed 210M primers and that I hadn't seen any in a year. One of the posters said that he saw them in two local stores where he lives in Conn. I live on Lng Island.

I called both stores, one was out but the other had 2 bricks. I tried to pay for them over the phone but the guy wouldn't let me. I explained that I will be driving from NY and can't take the chance of someone selling them before I get there. The guy said I'll put them in the back and they'll be here when you arrive.

I would say it was at least 100mi each way. I just made a day trip out of it and got the primers. They were $115 each IIRC. He had plenty of CCI primers on the shelf but they were even more expensive.
Even more expensive than your fuel and time?

Currently, I don't think things are that difficult to get. However, in the past they were and I see it all the time and there's even proof right here.
1. Hoarding
2. New shooters

People think they will hoard up all this stuff and if somehow laws change that they will have all these items and not be impacted. That's not how it works. Lot of Hollywood nonsense.
I think the current estimate is around 7 million new shooters in recent years. That has a huge impact on pricing and availability. Perhaps the recent decision to put more resources into law enforcement will reduce the individual need to provide their own security.

To your question. There was a time, years ago, I drove from west Texas to Flagstaff Arizona to get components. I think those days are behind us.

Food for thought
Run this quiz on a 3 gun site and I'm sure it would generate some great responses. Powders are not really an issue for me, it's the little guys I have always taken for granted that are giving me the gray hair. I think the days of 3 cent primers are done and we will all have to face the fact that if you want it "Your Way" it's going to cost ya more $$ than just Time. Wishing everyone a Good Friday any happy hunting for all your special components.

I started reloading last year and i was fortunate enough for some hand me downs from my dad. He gave me 2k 210's and 1k 215's. Now im running out of 210's and cant find them any where close in idaho. Driving over 5 hours or 300 miles doesn't work for me. So im stuck searching. Wish i would have got into reloading sooner or paid attention to how important and hard primers are to obtain.

50 miles for me. Time, wear and gas would make just ordering online better to me, $20 hazmat and shipping is used up in about 30-50 miles.
$20 hazmat and shipping? Tell me where to find that, most companies I have used are nearly $50 per order now.

Think I have you all beat, last year when I saw shortages coming I couldn't find federal 215 primers, Cabela's of Canada had them course they don't ship to Pennsylvania, but I was going for a moose hunt in October so they shipped them to my outfitter, and I think I went just over 1100 miles to pick them up, and kill a moose. Always a good time in Newfoundland
I'm always looking for a deal when traveling!

Components are our Easter Egg hunt and we each have different levels of desperation based on "real" need or unfettered fear of tomorrow's unknown.
I don't mind the hunt, & I'm coming across things I never saw before, I haven't broken down and bought any yet, but I might have to, small pistol primers are my next need & I haven't been able to get my old reliable CCI,
but these are made in Bosnia

Attachments

• 0701B923-9993-4078-8D12-79C624F6DEAD.jpeg
    0701B923-9993-4078-8D12-79C624F6DEAD.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 47
If the. Cost of a brick was around 100 dollars. And they would Let me buy three bricks of Federal 215 Mag primers ,I'd drive 100 miles !!! Right now !!! I'm not doing any math, and it doesn't have to make sense. I need the **** things LOL

Everything I shoot is at the range now a days , have lots of CCI primers lr and sr . I can get all kinds of primers BR-2 lr and BR-4 sr , I have driven 100 miles for powder but nobody has powder around here now Lapua bullets are hard to find as well . My 6.5 creedmoor likes the Lapua scenaro 123 gr and Superformance powder