LANDS.......HOW FAR OFF TO START?

NYLES

Any ideas on where to start an 180 gr Accubond in a 300win? does it like touching or is it a jumpper? help me out been of the bench awhile.

I like to start everything close the the lands, because most of the time that`s where I get my best accuracy. With the bullets and round your useing I can only guess that it`s a bolt gun and you will be limited by the lenth of your magizine, so I would start with the longest that will cycle well in your gun.

3.600 COL seems to load ok! now it just needs to stop raining and Ill launch a few have 10 ready to go! And its easy to make em shorter.....thanks!

Nyles

I shoot the 200 gr Accubond in my 300 wm. I've tried just off the lands and magazine length, both are pretty accurate.

The just off the lands groups run .5s to .6s where the mag. lengths run in the .6s to .7s these are about .080 off the lands so they don't seem to mind the jump that much.

If it were me I'd do like Catfish said, start with the longest length that fits in the mag. and go from there, I like having that quick second shot just in case things don't go as planned.

Chris

I dont have a gauge but I started em out way too long and seated deeper and deeper until they chambered freely seating .010 deeper each attempt. Im guessing that should put em within .010 from the lands......Any other ways?

I load my 180 AB's 0.015" off the lands. 180 Partitions shoot best at 0.080" off the lands in the same rifle. As always, every situation is different.

Do you have load data that works for you? The gun is a Sendero in 300WIN.

test load is 76 gr RL 22
180 gr Accubond
3.600 COL
Fed 215 mag primers
Nosler brass

you say you don't have a gauge...
i know you have a cleaning rod..
use it for a gauge.
with an unloaded rifle, close the bolt and use your cleaning rod with a solid tip of some sorts and stick it down the barrel til it bottoms on the bolt face.
mark the cleaning rod right at the muzzle, use tape a marker, something that will stay put.
now take the bolt out and just drop a bullet into the chamber and seatit and hold it with a pen, or something long and skiny to keep it into the rifleing.
now reinsert the cleanig rod til it hits the bullet tip, mark the cleaning rod again, measure between the marks and it'll give you a pretty good idea of the oal..

every bullet brand you use may be different, so do it every time you switch..

real simple and easy..

[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas on where to start an 180 gr Accubond in a 300win? does it like touching or is it a jumpper? help me out been of the bench awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get a set of ogive measuring adapters for your calipers, you can seat your bullets based on the ogive distance from the lands vice the oal of the loaded round. I found that if you are relying on oal for accurate ogive to land dimensional relationships, you are giving up some potential accuracy.

I make a dummy round and then set it into the lands ten times and then measure the ogive to base. I repeat this again and if it is the exact same with the same bullet, I have the starting point. Next load two at that length and then continue to load two at each different length. I use .010" increments. A .010" change in depth can mean the difference between shooting one-hole goups and shooting patterns. This is a type of ladder test I developed using seating depth with a constant powder charge. Works every time and seems less temperature sensitive during extreme changes. This way when you get some bullets off of a different machine makeing the exact same bullet, you can go right to the ogive vice figuring out the ogive to tip relationship for each and every box of bullets. Hope this helps. Note, this procedure has never failed to yield the most accurate groups for top loads in any caliber.

James

We are also using this procedure with factory loaded ammo for shooters who do not wish to reload. We are getting extremely fantastic results just by tuning factory ammo to a specific rifle. For instance, a Ruger #1 that shot 6" groups at 100 yards. Using this procedure, and the same lot of bullets that produced 6" groups, we got it to shoot consistently 1/4" with factory ammo. Now, I am not a fan of factory ammo, but it is hard to argue with the results.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.