Company Rifle

Thanks for sharing. It is refreshing when examples are shared of just how good a low priced rifle can be with minimal gunsmith work.

Those M96's are really nice old rifles!...

I'm a softy for these old sporters......

How 'bout a 40's factory 96 sporter in 8x57?

KIMG0395.JPG

KIMG0398.JPG

I almost can't believe how reasonably these old rifles can be had; I paid under 3 bills for this one & it shoots as pretty as it looks!

3905.jpeg

110 yards with the open sights; I was delighted...

I have one of those too. It was given to me by a friend, an old Marine who was also a gun smith. He has since passed away but he handed me this one day and never gave an explanation as to what it exactly was.
20190115_051422.jpg
I figured out it was a Swede round but thought it was a novelty or such. Why were wood bullets used and a "shredder" installed. For shooting beavers? Kinda like the superman vs kryptonite thing? Lol.

By the way nice 8mm and good shooting. People don't realize how well open sights shoot. I don't feel undergunned with opens out to 300 yards. Low light becomes a problem but that's ok it is what it is.

There is a school of thought that the cock on closing may lead to a more accurate rifle, since the same amount of force is used every time the bolt is cycled and locked into battery....and is a faster cycling in rapid fire..

I have a near pristine M96 full military dress and bayonet made in 1899 that is chambered for the old 156 gr RN and has the lacquered stock decal that gives the correction for the 142-144 pointed bullet adopted later with the 29 inch barrel you can definitely reach out there, without treading close to pressure limitations.

I also have a FN made M98 action Husqvarna in 7.92x57 IS that came with an EAW pivot mount...quick twist and you have iron sights, really nice if you have to go down into the weeds and returns to zero every time and I have had it for years 196 - 200 gr bullet (choose brand) at 2600 +- and bang flop seems to be the name of the game more grey than blue now and stock has seen better days and a nothing special 4X Bushnell Sportview is living on it until the Ajack 7.5x50 mm gets back from being refurbed..with that scope on a rifle I can hang out there with the best modern stuff until well after sunset...darn half hour after rules :)

My 'oldie but goodie' is a Newton 1st Edition in 256 Newton. Love that old rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts