Company Rifle

hunter67wa

So I shot my company rifle yesterday with LRAB to see how it would shoot. As always it shoots very well with any thing I put in it and within an 1 inch of all other loads POA.

If you are wondering what a company rifle is it is the rifle if you came to hunt with me and didn't bring a rifle I would hand you this one. Funny thing is the more I shoot it I think it should be my main rifle as it is such a treat to shoot. The really funny thing is I paid 300 dollars for it as it sets no scope. I took it to smith for a bed job and threaded for can. Even funnier is it was made in 1941 by Husqvarna. I have to wonder why I spend all this money on rifles when this thing shoots? I may just start handing company my LW Creed and just shoot this one.

Funny how things go isn't it.

Attachments

• 20190113_091726.jpg
    20190113_091726.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 569
  • 20190113_091648.jpg
    20190113_091648.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 620
So I shot my company rifle yesterday with LRAB to see how it would shoot. As always it shoots very well with any thing I put in it and within an 1 inch of all other loads POA.

If you are wondering what a company rifle is it is the rifle if you came to hunt with me and didn't bring a rifle I would hand you this one. Funny thing is the more I shoot it I think it should be my main rifle as it is such a treat to shoot. The really funny thing is I paid 300 dollars for it as it sets no scope. I took it to smith for a bed job and threaded for can. Even funnier is it was made in 1941 by Husqvarna. I have to wonder why I spend all this money on rifles when this thing shoots? I may just start handing company my LW Creed and just shoot this one.

for sale? lol

It is really silly how it shoots. my first load was 155 Lapua Megas and it is to much for deer so I think its an elk load that also shoots 1/2 at 100. That is why Im trying the LRAB

Even funnier is it was made in 1941 by Husqvarna.

Yep, Swedish Mauser M96 with cock on close feature. These were built with the finest steel available at the time. It surpassed the steel that the Mauser Brothers were using in Germany. Overall, this is an excellent rifle especially when combined with the 6.5x55 cartridge and the older style, longer bullets.

Yes best I can tell in has somewhere in the area of 1x7.5 twist and very long throat. Im thinking about putting the cock on opening kit in it.

These are the variations used for the original ammunition:

serveimage

The orange one is made from wood and required a muzzle device to shred it.

"Military 6.5x55 ammunition was loaded to a pressure of 3200 ATM which converts to 47008psi. Proof loads developed between 4000 and 4500 ATM which converted (x14.69) give pressures of between 58,760psi and 66,000psi. The original m/94 military load featured a 10.1 gram (156 grain) round nosed bullet which achieved 725m/s (2378fps) in the 29" barreled m/96 rifle, 700m/s (2297fps) in the 24" m/38 rifle and 655m/s (2149fps) in the original 18.5" m/94 carbine. The first pointed bullets were tested between 1910 and 1920 in experimental rifles, the final load appeared in the M/41 sniper rifle and used a 9 gram (139 grain) pointed bullet. This load quickly proved itself superior to the former and in 1944, the 9 gram load replaced all of the previous M94 designated ammunition. The M/41 load achieved 793 m/s (2601fps) in the 29" M/96 barrel, 768 m/s (2519fps) in the 24" m/38 barrel and 730 m/s (2395fps) in the18.5" M/94. Many Swedish rifles still bare a brass disc on the butt which helps tell the user which ammunition the rifle was sighted in for, its zero - and the condition of the bore since its last inspection."

Regards.

Mine was threaded for the wooden bullet shredder. Stock had been changed so no brass disk bummer that would have been cool to have

For the same reason that someone with a great 5 yr old pickup truck goes and trades it in on a brand new one. Because we are conditioned that way.

Awesome Rifle! I have a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 and absolutely love it. I was watching a Rem. Classic in the Swede on Gb the other week but it went for much more than I was willing to go.
Ive been running Husqy saws for years and recently bought one of there battery models....best thing around the house since the proverbial "sliced bread".
What other components under those Noslers?

Last edited:
Im thinking about putting the cock on opening kit in it.

Those M96's are really nice old rifles! I had a Kimber-Re-do for awhile that I passed on for someone else to enjoy when I found a different one on GB.....It has had a bunch of smith work done to it, It has a Timney trigger, Cock on Open conversion, and Winchester swing safety installed, original barrel cut at 24". It needs a new stock, which I should get on this winter so I can see how she shoots! Most people say no on the COO conversion, but I like it a lot, . I guess we will see how it hold up. I'm a softy for these old sporters......M96/98's, SMLE's, 1903's, etc. It's hard to not get caught up in the newest and shiniest rifle in the safe, and I really enjoy getting reminded that these old rifles not only compete with their modern counterparts but often far surpass them in quality! Same with Cartridges.....the 6.5x55 is a really nice all around cartridge that gets shunned as outdated by many.....If I ever saw a lefty Tikka in it, I don't know if I could pass it up.
@hunter67wa Just curious what powder you run in the 6.5x55? I used Varget, and H4350 in the Kimber model, but always wonder if there is a different one I should try.

@ericbc7

What are the specs on the 1st round with the cannelured case and greenish bullet? Is it a dummy round?.

I'm pretty sure that is an inert training round/gauge....But I could be wrong!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.