Cold bore mapping?

shovelhead

Hello members- I have been doing quite a bit of successful reloading on a close friends ne savage LRH in the 6.5x284. Lapua brass, Berger 140 VLDS, FEDERAL 215s, 58.2 grin. Of retumbo. 3050 fps. It is sub 1/2 Moa at 100, and still holding .75 out to 300... Redding comp. dies, and averaging 2th concentricity (all under 4th) measured on olgive with Sinclair gauge. Awesome.... Here's the issue I cannot get a cold clean or fouled to be on x until he gets 3down the barrel. So this is a hunting rig. The poi at 100 is always around 2 high and 2 right. 2nd shot moves roughly half 3rd shot in the 1" from the 4th on he can touch and or cover with dime. Is there anything on the bench I can do to correct this so it is either clean or fouled same poi. It really shoots like a dream and he's digging the accuracy. The scope is a viper pst. 6x24 ffp mil. Rad. Suggestions appreciated! Thanks

Is the barrel channel on the LRH fully floated? Mine came with a pressure point(tab) at the end of the forearm. I floated it before I shot the new rifle. Also, did a barrel break in. Cold bore shots with my LRH with 57 gr Retumbo/215/140VLD load have been within .5MOA. It is also important to check the bedding screw torque on the LRH(or any Savage with an Accustock or bedding block). I set my LRH at 40 inch/pounds of torque. My bedding screws were less then 20 in/pounds when I took the new rifle out of the box.

Last edited:
You said: " Here's the issue I cannot get a cold clean or fouled to be on x until he gets 3down the barrel."

The cold clean I understand. Because you put "or fouled' in same sentence it is a bit confusing.

Are you saying a fouled cold barrel takes 3 shots to get to the X? If so then the barrel is walking to a new location due to it being warmed up.

Have you fired a single shot from a cold fouled bore, then let it cool and shoot it again? I have watched Dave Miller, the rifle maker, shoot his hunting rifles one shot and totally cool, then another. It is time consuming as heck but it will simulate hunting conditions. Your shooting IS showing the barrel walks with heat.

I would consider contacting Savage and see what they have to say. Who knows maybe they will offer another barrel.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses!
Greyfox- I did have him do a barrel break in, but I will definitely check the torque on action screws, and address the barrel floating. I actually suggested not to shoot it until those issues have been taken care of per your reply.

Az- the cold clean check was done cleaned and 24 hrs. minimum the fouled was the same.... no cleaning and 24 hr.minimum. Per his targets it's printing within one moa 1st shot either way. Due to the inherent barrel and throat issues I suggested he wait 5 min between shots and there is always atleast 15 minute shooting breaks at the range so it literally takes about 3 to 4 hrs to get 25 downrange. My gun is getting wrapped up this week....so I can only respond based on info and targets I have aquired.

Thanks to all, gives me a direction to go! BTW the work on that savage is to go after some mulies in Mont. Come Nov.

It is sub 1/2 Moa at 100, and still holding .75 out to 300...

Savage might not be really anxious to replace a barrel that shoots this well.

Why not quit cleaning the rifle between shooting sessions and see where the first shot goes with a cold unclean barrel.

Savage might not be really anxious to replace a barrel that shoots this well.

Why not quit cleaning the rifle between shooting sessions and see where the first shot goes with a cold unclean barrel.

Yep, that's exactly what I do. Here's my last year's last cold bore shot at 200 yards with my .270 AI in Savage 110 LA before calling it good for the hunting season.

200yardscoldboreshot_zps0457c291.jpg

... which resulted to >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/270-ais-1st-big-game-harvest-143492/#post1009714

You're high left.... completely unacceptable!

IMO you can over clean a gun. My fclass rifle has 180+ (3 matches) down the tube and I might clean it before my next match, might not. If your ocd will not let you leave your barrel dirty then just clean out the carbon, try and leave the copper.

BTW, before the winds destroyed everyone my first 15shot 600yd round was 149 with 12x's. I have no idea how I dropped the point, thinking it was the primer b/c it wasn't even close. So I shot 12/15rds at ~0.5moa at 600 with a filthy barrel.

Usually if your having a cold bore or clean bore issue it's for one shot, you don't work your way into a group. Sound more like an action/barrel to stock issue that settles in. If it's not bedded you need to shoot some groups while varying the rear screw torque on a Savage.

If it's not bedded you need to shoot some groups while varying the rear screw torque on a Savage.

Good advice.

yep, that's exactly what I do. Here's my last year's last cold bore shot at 200 yards with my .270 AI in Savage 110 LA before calling it good for the hunting season.
That is what I do also. Only problem is if you miss the animal you are shooting at, it probably would not be too cool to blame the rifle. :rolleyes:

WBM- I Have had him test that way again Sunday. 25 plus down the barrel from previous session to perform the cold bore test,no cleaning at all.... 2" h, 2" right. 6 rounds later 1st time at 300 for the day 3 touching. That's what led me to the post. As said already... The barrel must be moving, but man I can tell ya that rig likes to be a bit warm! my trued 300 in a hs stock, seekins metal, Timney3lbs,doesn't print that well.... Well I guess he's probably a better shot!:)

Definitely great advice all around! I may scoop that sucker up for a day, and see if I can come up with a different outcome. I shot him a call and said " don't clean it"! Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.