CLR and Chrome Moly Barrels

The barrel is a 308, what do you use to plug the muzzle that won't leak the cleaner out?
Plus do you use CLR on your SS barrels, if so do you have any issues?

I use new roll up earplugs - discard after one use as solvents cause loss of compressibility & sealing.

Roll between your palms or on a clean surface to compress & insert into muzzle after removing brake if equipped. Stand on folded towel in a disposable cup, fill barrel to chamber with solvent of choice.

I am a bit late to this party…I haven't seen anyone mention Boretech Eliminator. Works great on copper and carbon.
JMHO but I would refrain from putting acidic etching solutions such as CLR down my barrels.
Label on back of the bottle says "may etch older sinks, tubs,…"

I am a bit late to this party…I haven't seen anyone mention Boretech Eliminator. Works great on copper and carbon.
JMHO but I would refrain from putting acidic etching solutions such as CLR down my barrels.
Label on back of the bottle says "may etch older sinks, tubs,…"
This paired with WipeOut does wonders on Carbon.

I just had excellent results cleaning s dirty old 270 with bore tech inc. Eliminator bore cleaner. I put an ear plug in the end of the barrel and filled it with eliminator and let it sit for 20 minutes then drained it and ran a nylon brush through it 20 or 30 times then patched it with dry patches for 10, then one more pass with a patch of eliminator. It only took 14 patches to come out 100% clean as a whistle. Im a huge fan of this stuff now and nylon brushes can really help a lot.

Two-part question.

For those of you that use CLR to clean the carbon out of your stainless steel barrels have you ever seen white spots in them?

For those of you that have used CLR have you seen white spots in your chrome-moly barrels like in the pic below? I've used CLR in 3 CM barrels and in 2 of them I cannot get the white spots out of the barrels. If you've had them appear in your barrel and were able to get rid of them what did you use to remove them?
I use Boretech C4 but I haven't found anything that Iosso bore paste wouldn't remove from a barrel. I have cleaned some really badly carbon fouled barrels as well as all of my supressors by putting a silicone plug in one end and filling it with C4 and soaking overnight. You can literally just wipe the baked on carbon off the next day even on a suppressor that has a thousand rounds through it.

I have been summoned? What can I help you with my friend?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I figured your great knowledge on this subject would be appreciated amongst the group here and maybe you know what the op has in his barrel after the usage of clr since I know you use it and have used it extensively for a long time.

If you don't want to get involved, sorry for the summons my friend.

I figured your great knowledge on this subject would be appreciated amongst the group here and maybe you know what the op has in his barrel after the usage of clr since I know you use it and have used it extensively for a long time.

If you don't want to get involved, sorry for the summons my friend.
No apology necessary.

My knowledge and experience is irrelevant to this discussion. Point in fact, the more experience I have and the more facts I provide, the harder certain people will fight against it. Truth has literally zero bearing on the outcome of threads like this.

I keep CLR away from my vintage blued rifles. Any barrel that isn't blued, I use CLR/WipeOut/Kroil. Have been for a long time. I shoot smaller than most I know, and more than most I know. No issues. That is the total extent of the effort I will put into this discussion. Those that want a more detailed description with specific instructions, are already paying for my mentorship, and there are several videos they can watch, as well as contact me via phone and ask me whatever they want whenever they want.

People can clean their bore with powdered unicorn horn and fairy tears for all I care. I give a lot of information for free. I've learned that certain topics can only be discussed intelligently, one on one.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

ThorroClean and a nylon brush will cure your carbon/copper woes.

I have used this twice on my gun and am extremely disappointed in its ability to remove carbon and copper. Maybe if I was only shooting a few rounds it'd work well, but not for the amount of rounds we put on in a weekend. Do a two day match and have upwards of 250-300 rounds and I'd be there all week cleaning with ThorroClean.

I have used this twice on my gun and am extremely disappointed in its ability to remove carbon and copper. Maybe if I was only shooting a few rounds it'd work well, but not for the amount of rounds we put on in a weekend. Do a two day match and have upwards of 250-300 rounds and I'd be there all week cleaning with ThorroClean.
My results were less than satisfactory too and I don't shoot over 20 rds at a time.

Vinegar should neutralize it as well.I say Should..LOL My barrels have not got that bad where Id use it.I clean them after every match..No matter the round count..Large or Small.
I have tried vinegar and baking soda after letting CLR sit in an old barrel for hours. Neither one of them neutralize the CLR after that long. I will try another barrel, clean it and then try the vinegar to see if it'll work right after cleaning, plus finish up with alcohol.