Clocking muzzle brakes

kai

Jerry Miculek recommends clocking side-ported muzzle brakes at 1 o'clock for right handed shooters and at 11 o'clock for left handed shooters.

See link below:

Those of you using side-ported muzzle brakes, have you tested clocking your brakes,
and do you clock them at 12 o'clock or something else?

Last edited:
Jerry Miculek recommends clocking side-ported muzzle brakes at 1 o'clock for righthanded shooters and at 11 o'clock fro left handed shooters.

Those of you using side-ported muzzle brakes, have you tested clocking your brakes,
and do you clock them at 12 o'clock or something else?

All of my MBs are side ported and oriented at 12 O'clock positon.

morning, same position justme gbot tum
question Feenix. would the positioning of the MB
on ones barrel have to due with the torque and twist
of the bullet leaving the barrel? would the length
of the bullet change the point of aim? I am left handed and
shoot right hand actions 99% of the time. would this
practice (which I am not going to change) cause
the group move? JM is a brilliant master.
for JM to mention this technique must have
reverence to his shooting practices. justme gbot tum

Has anybody tried clocking their brakes?
Yes and it depends on the comp and what the gun is for. Shoot a break at 12 o'clock and another at 1 o'clock, most people won't notice the difference. Im only concerned with the timing of a comp for use with some type of auto fire. However that's not a concern for on here.

IMPO if the thought that it's not exactly 90 degrees to the ground will bug you then yes. I just try to get them +/- about 10 degrees of horizontal since I don't shoot unsuppressed. If it wasn't such a PITA trying multiple combinations of shims to get it exactly horizontal I'd do it but it's not worth the time investment to me.

I know that Miculek says he puts his own so the right side is aimed slightly up and that it'l help counteract the natural recoil of an AR. Myself, for every action there's an equal and positive reaction so if the right side is driving the gun down, the left side is driving it back up. Assuming the brake is symmetrical.

There is a valid reason to make it reasonably horizontal, just so you're not kicking up a dust storm if you're shooting low to the ground and you don't have a cover / can on the rifle.

"for every action there's an equal and positive reaction so if the right side is driving the gun down, the left side is driving it back up. Assuming the brake is symmetrical"

Yayyy physics!

I think Jerry recommends clocking the brake off-center for muzzle brakes that create downforce.

When the top of the brake is at 1 o'clock, the down force pushes the muzzle to the left and into the left hand holding the forend.

Also... for a right handed shooter, the recoil pad is NOT supported squarely on the shooter's body.
It is actually supported more on the left side of the recoil pad... toward the shooter's center of his body. Supporting the recoil pad off-center toward the left, would make the muzzle recoil to the right. Jerry's recommendation to cant the brake to the right could compensate/balance out the recoil.

I'd like to know if anyone has tested chanting their brakes to fine tune the recoil to be straight back.

is your shooting style the same as jerry's ?

he is more of an action shooter.
it is for fast second shot(or more)
just make the first one count

Is this for unsupported/offhand shooting only ?
It would be easy to test from a bench.

I shoot hunting rifles and want to have the ability to spot my bullet's impact.

I received my MBM Titanium Beast brake for my 28 Nosler and will be turning off the end to time it to my barrel.... trying to find any input from others who have tried timing their brakes off the 12 o'clock position.

Is this for unsupported/offhand shooting only ?
It would be easy to test from a bench.

This is for all shooting.
I've tried putting a bubble wrap pillow under the forend to let the gun move under recoil with my Tikka superlite 270 Win. That light rifle jumped off target with the inefficient brake that it has.
I'm hoping my heavier 28 Nosler and the Beast 5 port brake can be tuned for a straight back recoil.

In the photo one can see a home made brake. In the third port from the muzzle one can see a little "v". That little "v" was to counteract the tendency of the rifle to go to the right in recoil. It works.
2017-05-07 08.22.09.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts