clinometers/angle finders??

goodgrouper

I have decided not to get a cosine indicator, but I still would like to get more precision on angled shots. So I'm going the route of clinometers and a PDA because it will be universal and I can use this format on all my guns without having to take something off of one gun and transfer it to another. I've been doing some research on these tools and was wondering if anyone had used them before. I can't figure out what the difference is between a clinometer and a manual angle finder. Is it that the clinometer reads slopes by line of sight to the target and the angle finder is to be physically placed on a solid object to find it's angle?? If so, which would be the best for hunting applications?
If I am understanding how to use the clinometer, you would have to line your gun up on the target, then get down next to it and sight down the clinometer to the target at a place that is the same height as your face on the target. Which means you would have to sight an elk's kneecaps because they are roughly the same height off the ground as my gun barrel in prone position?
And if the angle finder is to be used, would it have to have a magnetic bottom to be put on your barrel while you aimed the gun at the target, and it would have to be leveled? Are these assumptions correct? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.