Angle Doping

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Can someone explain why when I take the cosine of an angle and multiply it by the LRF distance, it does not match up with exbal? If I use the same angle, I get two different numbers for scope dialing. I am trying to decide if I need an ACI or if an angle finder and the pda will do it.

Example:
35* angle(.819 cosine)
867 yds
MOA needed = 9.75

Exbal
35* Angle
867 Yards
MOA needed = 10.5

Not a huge difference, approx. 6" at that range. Maybe I should just enter the angle in exbal on the pda and go that route. Any advice???

I expect Xbal does the calculation a little differently than you do it.

Multiply the cosine times the <u>drop</u> for the actual distance you measured. This will get you closer to the correct answer but still no cigar.

What the cosine of the angle does is make corrections for the angle of the bullet flight with respect to gravity. Because the bullet path is a curve, the angle is constantly changing and is very complicated to compute precisely. Correcting the drop- not the distance -will get you closer to the actual answer.

Darn, I wouldn't have thought that the difference would be that much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Guess I'd better get xbal for the pocket PC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The records (posts) show that of the two methods you use, xbal is the one to trust.

TMR

Here are the instructions for the Cosine Angle Indicator.

Of importance to your question are the last three paragraphs.

You used Method #1 and Method #3. I recommended you use Method #2 as being better than #1 but not as good as #3.

Would you like me to say that one more time real slow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Drops

BB,

got it......I will use my PDA and Exbal....unless the battery dies. Then I will get the calculator out.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.