Clearing brush to set camp?

You could go rent a skid steer with a forestry mulcher attachment. Grind it all down to grade and remove the chips. It'll grind the stumps to the depth you wish.

If you have a heavy duty portable winch this works great for small to medium brush.
View attachment 478971
you might be able to use a come along, but not sure.
Oddly enough I was just coming back around to the thread here with an idea.

I do, actually, have a winch. It is a 4500lb Superwinch ATV winch with wireless remote. It is my "go to" for utility work including pulling boats out of the water and flipping them for off-season. We rig in all kinds of ways to get various pull angles depending on what we're trying to do. Tree saver straps and blocks are wonderful things.

Something I was thinking of today at work is some kind of spiked "drag box" that I could pull with the winch where the spikes could snag the brush roots and tear them out. With all the bigger trees there are endless rigging points to get the pull angles whichever way I would need.

As to the size of brush - I'd say up to 1-1.5" diameter. There were some small trees growing but I cut those out a few years back, though the stumps are still there.

To answer a few questions/give some more input to various things in one post -

- We can't easily get an ATV there, no road access so equipment like that would have to come by boat. If we absolutely had to - skid steer, excavator, what ever for a major task that is possible - we have a local business that takes care of things that has the equipment, but the availability for things like that is usually in the off-season as long as they aren't all tied up on a big job - which is why I am trying to come up with a method.

The forestry mulcher would be a blessing, however.

- Electricity isn't an issue. We have plenty of power - utility and generator + solar if need-be.

- The sawzall method is a really good idea. We do have a couple saws and plenty of blades.

- I've never heard of the chainsaw attachments. We do have a few saws. I have some junk blades for my Husqvarna 455 that I have used for demo work (nail-embedded boards). I think the sawzall method would be a better idea than running the bigger saw, though.

- I have thought of the platform idea. We can get lumber easy. I am not sure I want to do that just yet, though. I would rather have the tent on the ground - maybe not even with a floor in it, just the dirt.

To answer a few questions/give some more input to various things in one post -

- We can't easily get an ATV there, no road access so equipment like that would have to come by boat. If we absolutely had to - skid steer, excavator, what ever for a major task that is possible - we have a local business that takes care of things that has the equipment, but the availability for things like that is usually in the off-season as long as they aren't all tied up on a big job - which is why I am trying to come up with a method.

The forestry mulcher would be a blessing, however.

- Electricity isn't an issue. We have plenty of power - utility and generator + solar if need-be.

- The sawzall method is a really good idea. We do have a couple saws and plenty of blades.

- I've never heard of the chainsaw attachments. We do have a few saws. I have some junk blades for my Husqvarna 455 that I have used for demo work (nail-embedded boards). I think the sawzall method would be a better idea than running the bigger saw, though.

- I have thought of the platform idea. We can get lumber easy. I am not sure I want to do that just yet, though. I would rather have the tent on the ground - maybe not even with a floor in it, just the dirt.
Quad in a flat bottom Jon boat many times on the Mississippi River. Just saying….it can be done.

3Chester have you used the brush grubber? It looks interesting. Did you use a truck or a winch?

I maintain a couple of miles of trail and clear brush and small trees with a pulaski. The matock side clears the dirt from the root and the axe side cuts it.

I took an old lawn mower and cut the metal off of the front so the blade sticks out a bit in the front. It will cut through 1" elm trees, and anything smaller. Just make sure no one is anywhere in front of you.

Kinda sounds like, guys only trying to clear 1 to 1-1/2 inch saplings, so... just a hatchet or small axe, one or two hits. Tent size,12ftx15ft clear whatever for that in an hour with hand tools, all done.They did make those high rear tire brush mowers for years, kind of a open front if it'll go over it, it'll go under it rig but, maybe the liability lawyers put the kibosh on e'm. This seems to be just a free advertisement for their brush grabber thing.

Last edited:
This kind of parallels my thread on wall tents.

There is a spot I am wanting to set up a tent of sorts on private property where I have considered building a hard shed in the past - and still am. However, that will be down the road. I am considering using, essentially, a large wall tent in that spot for the times I need it.

The question is - the area is overgrown with small brush. I had partially cleared it about 3 years ago, but not entirely down to the ground. IE small brush stumps, roots, etc were still on the ground.

Are there any ideas anyone may have on how to clear it to get a decent floor for a tent?

I thought about a tiller but the woody stuff (roots, brush stumps) will clog the tines.

It would be a large effort to get a machine there as it would have to go by boat. We know someone with a barge, but I don't want to go down that road. So something handheld, no bigger than a push mower or smaller tiller, would be ideal. I'm not sure if we could even get a small brush hog there without the barge.

Thoughts?
Since getting any equipment like a small backhoe in there is pretty much out of the question about the only safe way to do it is with a shovel and hatchet or ax. Any kind of fire in a wooded surrounding without anything but a buck and nearby water can lead to the start of a wild fire. There are enough of those to go around this year much less in the future. If you will be camping and not backpacking in I would suggest something like a Coleman Stove, which self contains the fire necessary for cooking.

3Chester have you used the brush grubber? It looks interesting. Did you use a truck or a winch?

I maintain a couple of miles of trail and clear brush and small trees with a pulaski. The matock side clears the dirt from the root and the axe side cuts it.

I took an old lawn mower and cut the metal off of the front so the blade sticks out a bit in the front. It will cut through 1" elm trees, and anything smaller. Just make sure no one is anywhere in front of you.
Nope haven't used that puller thing grabR thing, they're running the free ad for. Just half round turn and chocker cable, back to a CAT dozer, pullN most any stump,

This kind of parallels my thread on wall tents.

There is a spot I am wanting to set up a tent of sorts on private property where I have considered building a hard shed in the past - and still am. However, that will be down the road. I am considering using, essentially, a large wall tent in that spot for the times I need it.

The question is - the area is overgrown with small brush. I had partially cleared it about 3 years ago, but not entirely down to the ground. IE small brush stumps, roots, etc were still on the ground.

Are there any ideas anyone may have on how to clear it to get a decent floor for a tent?

I thought about a tiller but the woody stuff (roots, brush stumps) will clog the tines.

It would be a large effort to get a machine there as it would have to go by boat. We know someone with a barge, but I don't want to go down that road. So something handheld, no bigger than a push mower or smaller tiller, would be ideal. I'm not sure if we could even get a small brush hog there without the barge.

Thoughts?
The brush will always grow back as long as the roots are there. My first suggestion would be to kill the brush with weed killer. After that, if you can get a brush hog in there to rip out the roots that would be a step into having a clearing big enough for your tent. You would still need to tamp the soil down and probably put down some kind of ground cover. If you could get some of that stuff the road crews use under new pavement, it would help prevent new growth. Any time the tent is not there, new seeds could blow in and start new growth. If you could build some sort of platform to set the tent up on but would stay after the tent is removed, it would serve as a semi-permanent ground cover and possibly help when you decide to put up a permanent building.