Cleaning Rod vs. High Comb

JimD

About to finish up my first rifle with a stock with a "high comb".

With such a stock (high comb), when trying to clean the rifle properly...
- from the breech
- with a bore guide
... how do you handle the war between the cleaning rod handle and the high comb.

My stock is going to be sort of a "nice" one, nice finish and all.

I hate the thought of buggering it up by banging the cleaning rod handle into it.

How do y'all work this... I mean...

- that cleaning rod handle IS going to skitter right along the top of the comb isn't it?
- am I supposed to get an EXTRA long cleaning rod, to where the handle will stay behind the recoil pad?
- do y'all wrap the stock with something (thin!) and let the cleaning rod handle skitter across the wrap?
- wrap the cleaning rod handle in something soft? (and thin)

I would really NOT like to
- take the barreled action out of the stock every time I want to clean the rifle
- accept the idea of just getting used to dinging up the comb

Any wisdom from y'all that are further along down this road than I?

Jim

I have a couple of high combed rifles(A3 McMillan) that place the rod very close to the comb. I use a plastic coated Dewey that is long enough to place the handle behind the rifle butt when the patch/brush clears the bore. I will also cover the comb with a strip of masking tape(or other thin protector) if there is a possibility of any rubbing. Adjustable combs are easier!

I have a couple of high combed rifles(A3 McMillan) that place the rod very close to the comb. I use a plastic coated Dewey that is long enough to place the handle behind the rifle butt when the patch/brush clears the bore. I will also cover the comb with a strip of masking tape(or other thin protector) if there is a possibility of any rubbing. Adjustable combs are easier!
Yep, had to go with longer rods on my EH-1 stocks, instead of trying to slide handles over comb.

Thanks everyone.
I've been tumbling this in my mind.

My high comb issue is complicated a little by me having long arms and always putting a spacer between my stock and recoil pad to increase l.o.p. thereby easing my arm and wrist angles a little.

...which makes that cleaning rod need to be even a little longer still if the handle is going to stay behind the recoil pad, which I think is the best solution to this problem.

But I think I can make it all work out.

Dewey's longest one piece rod is 44" which won't quite stay clear of my stock altogether.
But it'll just have to maybe ride over the recoil pad and spacer, not the entire (finished) comb.

And then I'll just keep me a nice piece of thin cloth or plastic or something handy, and be in the habit of just laying it over the entire comb come cleaning time. Maybe some 2" blue painters tape... hmmm?

I think we'll be FINE, it just takes a little thinking each time when you're doing things for the first time.

Thanks for the comments.

Jim

I put the rod in the muzzle end with an undersized jag, no patch. Guide it down to the action. Unscrew the jag, and replace with the correct attachment. Drag the junk out the muzzle end from there.

It's all compromises, but so long as I watch the crown, I'd rather keep my cleaning rod under tension rather than pushing it and creating a bow in the rod.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.