Cleaning Rod and Bore Guide

jsali

Looking to get a new higher quality rod and guide than the units I have. I am thinking of the Tipton carbon fiber one piece rod and a stoney point guide. Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a dewy one peice coated rod and stony point guide.
The stony point I have came with three tips, they cover my 22-250 and my .338 without having to have three seperate guides, just change the tips. I like both. I am always open to new ideas, that is why I am here...
bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What length of rod do you use? The one I've got a 33" now just makes it with a 25 inch barrel and a dewey guide. I know I'll need a longer one as my new barrel will be an inch longer and the new bore guide will be longer as well, I'm just not sure how long I need.

I think I have a 36" rod.
I do know I trimmed the guide about an inch using a tubing cutter when fitting to the 700 .338 ultra-mag. 26" bbl. I had to trim the guide so the end of the rod would come out the end of the bbl.
tubing cutter does the job. Nice thing about the guide I have, I fitted it to the long action, long bbl and now it will fit all my rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bob in Alabama

Johnny5,
The tipton rod is ok I probably own 5 different brands and still prefer the Dewey, as far as guides go if you like a stoney point you have never tried any thing else ,if you try a sinclair or lucas your stoney point will become a fetching stick for your black lab.
B

you are correct, I have not tried anything else.
used to jamb her down the muzzell but now that I am striving for distance, I take care of the new machines, break in the barrels slowly and with intent on preservation.
I will learn from your remarks and try one of the sinclair or lucas guides... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thank you for the information.......

Bob in Alabama

I ordered a Lucas bore guide and a 44" dewey rod. This seems to be the "be all" combination for the majority of long range shooters I have got responses from. Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!

[ QUOTE ]
I ordered a Lucas bore guide and a 44" dewey rod. This seems to be the "be all" combination for the majority of long range shooters I have got responses from. Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good man!

JB

I use a Dewey .22 cal Cleaning rod and a Stoney Point Bore Guide. I also got some extra bolt collars to fit my Weatherby and Sako rifles. This setup seems to be about the best that I could find.

Johnny5,

I'm presently using the Tipton carbon fiber rod and the Lucas bore guide.If you look on the 6mmbr website you can find a review there about these items.Mike is a great guy to deal with and his products are very nice.Sorry , I have not used other setups so I can't comment .
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.