Bore guide

Hikinghunter

Why do bore guides range in price from $7-$50? Are the $50 ones worth the extra cost? They all seem to be plastic, unless you buy a caliber-specific one..

I have been ordering custom fit ones from Mike Lucas, he custom makes them to order. It's an easy process, send an email with, action, action length, chambering and diameter of your cleaning rod, he replies with the cost, where to send funds and asks for verification, you verify and in a few days you will get an email with shipping confirmation.

[email protected]

I have been ordering custom fit ones from Mike Lucas, he custom makes them to order. It's an easy process, send an email with, action, action length, chambering and diameter of your cleaning rod, he replies with the cost, where to send funds and asks for verification, you verify and in a few days you will get an email with shipping confirmation.

[email protected]
How long does it usually take him to get back to you with a price? I sent him an e-mail last week.

A bore guide should always be used when cleaning. A good one like Mike Lucas makes keeps the rod centered in the bore and not slapping against the chamber walls. For the infrequent user such as for big game hunting guns, the one piece delrin (Possum Hollow) work fine as long as you keep the muzzle in the downward position. Another option is Pro-Shot guides which are not as cartridge specific, but are more universal as far as caliber.

I never liked the two piece Lucas guides. IMO, they are a pain in the neck to use. I've probably got a dozen or so Possum Hollow guides. They work well and are under $20 delivered IIRC. They will make you a custom guide if you need one.

You can buy directly from them or from one of the retailers that handle their guides.

Recent Posts