Cleaning Rod Length

Doug in Alaska

This question is probably rather elementary for most of you, sorry. I've searched the forum and have found very little. I've always used aluminum sectional or coated cleaning rods but I'm now ready to order good, carbon fiber rods. How do you guys figure the length of the rod? I have a 26" barrel on my 7 RUM but also have the added length of a brake. Other rifles have 22' and 24" barrels. Is there a 'one length fits all'? I guess I need to add length for a bore guide also?

Thanks, Doug in Alaska

I bought a 40" one-piece coated Dewey for my 26.5" barrel with muzzle brake and Lucas bore guide. The way I figured out I needed a 40" was my 36" wouldn't clear the muzzle brake. :)

Others may have their scientific methods. A 40" will be long enough for a 26" barrel, bore guide, and muzzle brake. And the extra couple inches won't hurt anything. Might even be long enough for a 28" barrel with brake and bore guide.

one piece rods only... no "sectionals"...

while carbon fiber is nice stuff, the handles, ferrules etc are not very impressive, and are not nearly as popular as the one piece coated rods by Dewey, BoreTech et al...

rule of thumb = shortest rod that will work, the stiffer, the better

I usually buy my bore guides from Sinclair, but have bought from Midway also... I know what you mean about trying to buy everything from one supplier...

Bore guides from Midway or anywhere else are generic, in so far as working with all brands of cleaning rods...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.