Cleaning Gun Parts...Ultrasonic?

Doublezranch

I took my firing pin assembly out of my bolt last night. Holy moly, it looks like it was sitting on the bottom of my septic tank. Might be the reason I was having so much trouble in the cold. I wiped it off as best I could and now I want to go further. What do you all think of putting it in my sonic cleaner? Will it hurt it? Has anyone tried it?

I guess I just don't know enough about the RCBS solution. I know it states it cleans gun parts as well, I just don't want to ruin a firing assembly to "try" it out.

I'd order specific gun parts cleaner, personally. Why risk it with the brass cleaning solution, when you could just spend $10-15 on the right stuff.

DZ, after about every 100 rounds or so, I spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster (Blaster is best) into all the orifices of my bolt and let them soak for an hour or so or maybe overnight. Brake cleaner would probably work well too. Then I flush them well with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (not Bore Cleaner) or KG3 Solvent Degreaser so there is no oil residue left inside. Seems to work very well for me.

Thanks everyone. I have a few things to try. I have many bolts to clean so maybe I'll try all three and see which one cleans the best.

Ive done pistols in the sonic cleaner. The brass cleaner will turn steel parts black. Some gun cleaners arent any better than warm water. I would probably just use dish soap and water if i didnt have parts cleaner. I only use it for thing i cant reach otherwise.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts