Christmas Builds

Mike6158

I prefer to shoot bolt guns, especially my .338 Edge and it's little twin, the .20 Beggs, both customs that Defensive Edge built.

I used to say that I hate all of the AR's that I've built or bought equally :) I enjoy building. Their simplicity and durability has grown on me. After a 9 month wait my suppressors arrived a few weeks ago. Over the holidays I "found" two Mega stripped lowers that I've had for a while. I bought them when I built the "twins" years ago. The twins were a pair of identical AR15's built on Mega uppers and lowers, 2 stage triggers, target barrels, etc. I gave one of the twins to my youngest son when he got out of the USAF. My oldest son got my AR10 when he got out of the USAF.

I took the easy way out and bought a .300 Blackout assembled upper. I already had a 6.8 SPC assembled (Mega upper) upper. It has a target barrel. So that's what I decided to finish the build with. The Dead Air Sandman L works fine on all three AR's. There are two old school AR's with the built in carry handle in the safe. I bought those long ago. So yep, I'm a true AR hater.

I used Geissele SSA-E triggers. Gessele parts kits. Magpul stocks. Aero Precision for the .300 Blackout upper. I didn't pay close enough attention to to the plastic ticks and bought a 10" upper assembly. I've since put it back in it's box (hoping for less insanity in the future) and I replaced it with a 16" upper assembly. It's pretty long with the Sandman L attached to it.

Since I hate AR's so bad I decided to dive into the 8.6 Blackout pool. Barrels... barrels are the big holdup right now. I have just about everything else I need except a can and a barrel. The can (DA Primal) is a good 9 months out or more.

The .223 is fun to shoot at longer ranges (with different optics, currently sporting a thermal). I'm using a Primary Arms first focal plane scope on the 300 Blackout. I spent my Thermion budget so I bought a second Primary Arms first focal plane scope for the 6.8 SPC.

I put an old Leupold AR scope on the 6.8 SPC and shot it a few days ago. No bueno. At 50 yards it wouldn't print a target or the 42" x 60" brown craft paper that I put up before I put up the target up. There was one other guy at the range and he told me that he saw dirt fly up. I thought it was from the berm behind the target but it turned out the bullet was hitting about 10' - 15' in front of the target. I moved to 25 yards and it shot over 3' low. I dialed up as far as the scope would go and it was still shooting 2' - 3' low (didn't measure but yes, that's feet not inches). I thought something was wrong with the scope but it was originally on the 300 Blackout and it zero'd fine. The barrel is centered in the hand guard. Eyeball boresighting it looked good. I was shooting rounds that I loaded a few years ago. The Key Mount for the suppressor doesn't have any strikes. I used the Leupold so I could shoot it. I've got a scope ordered. I think I'll buy some factory ammo and eliminate my reloads. I've reloaded for decades but this was the first 6.8 SPC that I loaded. Idk... I've never missed a target by 10' at 50 yards before.

What are you needing or just posting issues? I have 2 6.8spc's, but haven't loaded any for it yet. I just been shooting rem 115umc ammo.

The last paragraph was the "point" to the post. Sometimes I ramble. :).

I gave up on shooting the 6.8 SPC suppressed or subsonic. It makes no sense to do that. I need to spend some time finishing sighting it in. After a I changed the scope I made a quick run to the range and sighted it in at 50 then 100 but I didn't do anything more than get it on paper and centered-ish. I didn't use reloads. I had a couple of boxes of ammo that I bought online. I'll load some more TSX's up and and sight it in with those.

On an up note, all parts for the 8.6 Blackout have arrived. Well... not the suppressor. In about 1,000 years (9 months or so) I expect my form 4's to be approved and my 8.6 can can be picked up.