Christensen has me scratching my head

Now you have found the scope was loose it is a whole new ball game.
Are you shooting through a chronograph at the range? I have scene many rifles throw 1 or 2 rounds out of group because of varying velocity.
I just helped my hunting buddy range check out his new NULA 7mm/08 rifle. It was shooting bad, But the chronie caught the velocity was varying near 100 fps. He changed primers and velocity variance went to about 12 fps and the rifle went to 1/2" groups. May be worth checking. Good Luck in finding the problem and cure.

I'm still suspect of the rings and scope? Is this rifle braked? Puts a lot of stress on optics and mounts.

Steve

This target is absolutely sub MOA. And if you would have have at least attempted a seating depth test around 88.4 grains of Retumbo, you may have seen .5 MOA or better. And to do it with a shifting scope?

I think you're going to have a hard time selling your position.

Attachments

• A535A599-5006-42D1-86E0-197613E18F9B.jpeg
    A535A599-5006-42D1-86E0-197613E18F9B.jpeg
    751.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
R-92 Leupold doesn't make PWR rings they are PRW and IMO are mediocre at best especially on high recoiling rifles. There's some really good advice in the LRH magazine about lapping and bedding rings a little epoxy in the lower ring could help a lot with the scope shift issue. BrentC advice about seating depth is really good and worth a try IMO.

Another thing that's worth a try is a different bullet or powder charge I have several friends who shoot the 300 RUM with 210 VLD's and H1000 one of whom shoots the same rifle as yours and with all accuracy is quite special. In short they all say they go together like peas and carrots in the 300RUM.

Personally I like Talley light weights but spending 100.00 for rings and bases on an 1800.00 firearm does not compute to me. You want a really good set of rings and bases. For that rifle I like the NEAR alphamount. Near Manufacturing.

Don't get miffed it impacts everything.

Good luck and shoot straight

This target is absolutely sub MOA. And if you would have have at least attempted a seating depth test around 88.4 grains of Retumbo, you may have seen .5 MOA or better. And to do it with a shifting scope?

I think you're going to have a hard time selling your position.

Exactly what I suggested. I'm starting to see a trend of people unhappy with Christensen rifles when the rifle is not at fault. It's like people believe that because they spent 2k the rifle should just shoot whatever you feed it and that is just not how this game works.

We just got one from a customer in 300 rum to do custom ammo. Never been fired. I'll give some feed back next week when we get to it.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.