Scratching my head at the range with different powders

If the barell is "jumping vertically" at all the higher velocity may print lower because it is in the barrel less time and leaves at a lower angle. Similar to the issue where higher velocity handgun rounds print lower.

Velocity has nothing to do with impact point during load testing. It has to do with barrel time node and where the bullet exits the barrel in harmonic swing. I do 400 to 500 yard testing and use the same aim point for all loads. They will group but the impacts are not really predictable and also nothing to be concerned with. Get low sd and es, accurate, call it god and rezero.

Velocity has nothing to do with impact point during load testing. It has to do with barrel time node and where the bullet exits the barrel in harmonic swing. I do 400 to 500 yard testing and use the same aim point for all loads. They will group but the impacts are not really predictable and also nothing to be concerned with. Get low sd and es, accurate, call it god and rezero.
sorry for asking an elementary question, thanks guys for the answers!

I've experienced various POI through out load development in a lot of rifles. I have never really found a rhyme or reason to any of it, and I could never predict how a certain load may impact in reference to an established load that the rifle was sighted for. I've seen different powders create a POI shift (small shift), but I feel the bullet is the biggest contributing factor. Different brands, different styles, different weights, they all have an effect.

When videoing my muzzle in slow mo I can see the muzzle flash before the muzzle apparently starts rising. This suggests its solely harmonics not muzzle rise causing the shift.

But 4" at 100 yards is only .040 at the muzzle - undetectable by eye, so could the muzzle have risen .040 due to recoil and not harmonics by the time bullet left the barrel ?

experimenting with different powders, can anyone explain this,..
powder "A" shoots 100 FPS faster but impact is 4" lower than power "B" going 100 FPS slower,. how can that be?
I have experienced the same but only about a 1" - 2" drop. I figured it is because the bullet trajectory is flatter than the slower charge. 4" is quite a bit so I'd think that's more likely a change in barrel harmonics.

When videoing my muzzle in slow mo I can see the muzzle flash before the muzzle apparently starts rising. This suggests its solely harmonics not muzzle rise causing the shift.

But 4" at 100 yards is only .040 at the muzzle - undetectable by eye, so could the muzzle have risen .040 due to recoil and not harmonics by the time bullet left the barrel ?
Failed to post was shooting @ 200 yrd.
it just took me by surprise VO slower but hitting target higher, thanks again guys,.
whatever the case I'll pick out the load that shoots the best adjust scope to blow out the bullseye, were are going hunting!

experimenting with different powders, can anyone explain this,..
powder "A" shoots 100 FPS faster but impact is 4" lower than power "B" going 100 FPS slower,. how can that be?
Don't worry about where it shoots due to barrel harmonics...
Pay attention to HOW it shoots.
Times being wat they are I would concentrate my efforts with the powder you have the most of...
OMHO
bill

Recent Posts