Scratching my head please help. 28 nosler

I agree with some of the previous posters. Try a different bullet. Mine likes the Berger EOL 190 grain over H1000. You might have better luck with trying other bullets ir the brass switch doesn't work

I have tried ELDx factory ammo in two of my rifles. A 300 WM (200gr ELDx) an a 270 Win (145 ELDx). The results were so bad, I didn't pursue hand loading with that bullet. At 100 yards the 270 groups were 2 to 3 inches and the 300 WM groups were 3 to 4 inches. After firing the 20 factory rounds in each rifle, my handloads that had previously printed cloverleafs and single holes (130 gr Ballistic Tips for the 270 and 185gr Berger Classic Hunters for the 300 WM) were printing larger groups. After a thorough cleaning the handloads were back to normal (single hole and cloverleaf groups). So I agree with previous comments that ELDx bullets don't shoot well in some rifles and they leave so much copper fowling that it affects accuracy.

I wonder if the enduron powders would mitigate this problem with their copper eraser?

My personal experiences ELD x suck,
ELD m Rock
I have to 28 nosler 1 is a 1 in 9 twist factory production shoots 180 berger hyb. & 180 ELD-m 1/2 MOA all day long the other is a custom 1in8 twist shoots the 195 1/2 MOA all day long. 6.5x284 shoots shotgun patterns with 143 ELD x -147 ELD-m bugholes to 300 yards.
2 of the major infomercial hunting shows / gun companies cannot get ELD x bullets to shoot worth a crap but they'll load them and sell them to you. They personally shoot ELD-m or Bergers. Had phone conversations with them.
Makes me feel better about my choice. I'm planning to try the 208 and 225 eld m in 300 win. I had debated eld x and am glad I didn't buy any. Also have a box of 210 nosler ablr

View attachment 124012 View attachment 124013 Hey guys, I know there are some very knowledgeable reloader son here and I'm scratching my head today.

Rifle, 28 Nosler Christensen Ridgeline 1:9 26" barrel

All shots at 200 yards. Light and variable wind.

I went to range this morning with several loads to test. Shot some and had an incredible group with 175 eldx 77 grains of H1000 had a 4 shot group .75 moa that is including the one I might have pulled with a sd of 11.6

That is really good for this rifle so I run home and load some more to see if I can repeat. Head back to range and get 4 shot group of 1.85 moa WTH??? but still have a good sd of 12.4.

This was all using brass sized at the same time, same way, from the same lot of Nosler brass on its second reload.

I'm really scratching my head. I really thought I had this and now I'm just confused and aggravated. Any ideas??

Fortunately I also had some hammer hunters that I also tested and they seems to be shooting wonderful, so I know it's not me, optics, etc. Hoping someone on here will have some suggestions on why this load did so well 1 time then went to crap a couple hours later.

Have you bedded your rifle? My Ridgeline in 28 nosler was very sloppy in the stock, Bedding it solved my problems. I shoot the ELDX with 80.5 grains of retumbo, fed 215 primer. They average 3180 fps in my rifle. My rifle seems to be very consistent with these bullets and retumbo

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.