christensen arms

Levi

I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on christensen arms. Do they have any practical application in the long range hunting world? I wanted to see if anybody had any experience first hand on their accuracy.I have a 7rum lss that I am looking to rebarrel. What barrel company do you feel would be the best for a 7mm.

will i guess this is would be a good spot for me to reply. i'm the gunsmith that makes those guns. and yes they do have a place in the long range hunting community. but i would not recomend the 7mm RUM we have had more problems with this cartridge than all other combined. if you are stuck on a magnum 7mm i would go with the STW hands down. if you are looking for a light weight accurate rifle a carbon wrapped barrel is the way to go. christensen arms isnt the only carbon barrels out there, you might check out ABS also, they make some very good barrels too. any other questions you can PM me or i will check this post offen to see if i can help in any way. thanks huntinfool18

Thanks for the reply huntinfool,
what kind of problems have you been having with the 7rum? do you feel that i will have much better acuracy with the stw?

the main problem is accracy. we garentee a 1/2" group at 100 yds with our custom barrels and alot of the 7 rums we make just wont do that. all the STWs we have built i have seen do that pretty easy. right now im working on a 7 rum that i just put the 3rd barrel on because it just wont meet your standards.

huntinfool18,
do you feel that your company is the best choice in barrel for the stw, I know I am putting you in what might be considered a conflict of intrest but I just wanted your honest opionon. Thanks for all of the great info.

i fill that we do make good barrels but i cant say we are the best as i have no exprencence with the other companies that make carbon barrels. as much as i would like to. i persoanally have an STW and it will shoot 1/4" groups all day long. gooodgrouper did some tests on some barrel some time ago, see if you can find that in a search, maybe that can help you also.

You might try also talking to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. He has built a lot of guns for people here and they are all shooters.

I like the idea of the carbon barrels but, if you want a LONG range gun, you are going to want something heavier. It is a lot tougher to hold a really light rifle steady at 800-1000 yards or further compared to a heavy barreled rifle.

I also do not see why the 7RUM won't work? I know plenty of people that shoot it with tons of accuracy. It would be best to shoot it with something like the 160gr Accubonds.

Well, my last 2 barrels were Hart and I cannot complain at all. I broke them in but, never really got any copper fouling even from the first shot.

I just know that my latest rifle uses a #4 fluted barrel and the gun and a 5.5-22 NF weighs in just under 9lbs and when you get to 500+ yards you have work at being rock solid steady.

On my 338 Edge it has a giant barrel, not sure of the contour and it weighs around 15.5lbs and I can get rock solid at any range with it.

I have a Christensen Arms rifle in a 300 WSM. It has a brake that works and meets the accuracy guarantee. It is fun to shoot and the next trip I make to Colorado hunting it will be my main rifle.

If you can find one that shoots consistantly. Typically the Chrsitensen Arms (CA), group poorly, because of the carbon barrel. We have done a number of experiements with them and the bottom line is the barrels have major issues with resonance or whip, its the way the carbon fiber is mated to the barrel liner is one problem. The other is they take a shilen blank and turn it down too far and too fast ruining the barrel tolerances, and they don't use the select match grade of barrel on the custom seires but the cheaper match grade. I've had a number of them, and none have shot consistantly over time and temperature. Some have shot like a 1/3 MOA, but the next time you take them out with the same load and conditions they'll shoot 2 MOA! All of them have had tight necks in the bore, We've tried lapping them, mating them to custom actions, recutting crowns and nothing gets them to shoot well. Another problem is the barrels will move with temperature, 1st group shoots dead on the target area, next group shoots 2 inches to the left etc. This is due to outside of the barrel sleeves not being concentric with the bore. We take them on trade all the time from dissatisfied customers who complain they don't shoot well. Our high velocity custom rifles shoot near one hole groups consistantly over temperature always, the CA's never do. I could write a book on this subject but time limits my response, any other questions you can call our offcies at 801-796-9395 or visit our website at www.utahrifle.com

hope this helps,

Michael Gerulat
President - Utah Rifle LLC

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts