Christensen Arms

tmvikings

All set and ready to make a purchase on a Christenson Arms Ridgeline Rifle in 6.5PRC. These rifles all come with a muzzle brake which I get since it allows you to better see your impact at long range. But now I'm thinking why not just get the same rifle but in a 300wsm since the recoil will not be any issue at all. Not recoil sensitive but if most of the 6.5PRC rifles come with brakes might as well shoot something that can do it all from speed goats to elk. Guess I'm overthinking this?

6.5s are not the best for elk. Of your choices, the 300wsm would be better, imo. Congrats

All set and ready to make a purchase on a Christenson Arms Ridgeline Rifle in 6.5PRC. These rifles all come with a muzzle brake which I get since it allows you to better see your impact at long range. But now I'm thinking why not just get the same rifle but in a 300wsm since the recoil will not be any issue at all. Not recoil sensitive but if most of the 6.5PRC rifles come with brakes might as well shoot something that can do it all from speed goats to elk. Guess I'm overthinking this?

Not even the best brake will change the part of the recoil equation dependent on powder volume and bullet weight. About 70% of felt recoil is due to the "rocket motor effect" when the blast leaves the barrel and that's what brakes help you with.

I don't have a PRC but I shoot the 6.5LRM wildcat runnign 140's around 3,300 and 130's right at 3,400 and I promise you the recoil is much milder than my 300's running 180-210gr bullets with very close to the same powder charge.

The 6.5's have successfully taken every game animal on earth for a hundred years including all of Africa's Big Five so in the right hands it will definitely do the job on anything here in N. America. Where I'd draw the line with the 6.5's is probably Bison and the Big Bears, Grizz an Kodiak.

The right bullet put in the right place by the right shooter and the 6.5's will get it done.

Mind you I'm not recoil shy myself at all. I shoot the WM's and Rum's in 300 and probably my favorite rifle is my .375 Ruger but I'll be the first to admit after dedicating 3 years to shooting just about everything with the .260's including some really large boars that they'll definitely get the job done with less recoil and more economically than the 300's and larger rounds.

Grab the 300 wsm. Load it up or down 130 ttsx - 215 Berger. Great Norma brass. Let us not forget the frontal diameter plays an important role with energy transfer.

I shoot their BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC for elk. Its awesome...I shoot bergers and eldms, and put them behind the shoulder - its lights out. I think if you are shooting monos or bonded, the larger diameter bullets help since they stay together. For my purposes the 6.5's are awesome.

Last edited:
I know of many people that have got elk with 6.5 prc. I'm really not an elk hunter. I just bought a 6.5 prc CA Traverse and so far love it.

300 Rum hands down .
You can run factory 150 gr. On up to a 230 gr. Perfect rifle for Deer or Elk .
Plenty of ammo on most Sporting goods shelves.
I have walls full of game heads from the Rum !! Buy one and injoy !

Rum Man

I bought a carbon classic in 33 nosler, I wanted a 300 or 338 rum but when you get a 3000 dollar gun for 2000 you dea l with it, I expected the kick of the 338 runs I was use to I ended up with something that kicks less than my 3006 remington 700. Between stock design and brakes they have it figured out

And to add to the effect of a good break my father builds his and most of my rifles, he has made his own breaks. He has a carry long range 338 that was a beast with his home made break he purchased one and now has tamed the beast to a comfortable shooter.

Read the post from Broz on LRO on the Christensen 6.5 PRC with the 156 Berger in play if you can't kill elk with it somethings wrong. My 6.5 Sherman with 140s shot plenty elk, and one Bull Moose@ over 400 yards tipped in tracks. While at I do have a 338 Sherman I'm now building 6.5 Sherman max tailored to 156 Berger and there's nothing I would be afraid to shoot with it ! Not to mention my wife shoots her cow elk every winter with a 6.5 CM and 129AW shots limited to 400 yards never had one leave its tracks long range for her was 475 with 6.5 284 DRT.
You don't need a 475 super ultra improved mag to kill elk !! Just my opinion though.

Read the post from Broz on LRO on the Christensen 6.5 PRC with the 156 Berger in play if you can't kill elk with it somethings wrong. My 6.5 Sherman with 140s shot plenty elk, and one Bull Moose@ over 400 yards tipped in tracks. While at I do have a 338 Sherman I'm now building 6.5 Sherman max tailored to 156 Berger and there's nothing I would be afraid to shoot with it ! Not to mention my wife shoots her cow elk every winter with a 6.5 CM and 129AW shots limited to 400 yards never had one leave its tracks long range for her was 475 with 6.5 284 DRT.
You don't need a 475 super ultra improved mag to kill elk !! Just my opinion though.
I would be surprised if Broz supported it for elk cause he built a 7-300 and said elk need 30cal or larger. I didnt read the article. Was he saying 6.5prc was great for elk?

I have the 300wsm and love it. Doesn't kick much at all with brake seems less than my 6.5 CM.
IMG_0912.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.