Christensen Arms ??

You're shooting a 300 WSM with 180 grain bullets at 3220 fps? Holy crap that's fast! How long is your barrel?
Yes, and thats w/ factory Federal ammo.Both of my my barrels are 26 in. with a C.A. titainium muzzle brake. seemed fast to me as well, but verified thru two chronographs, with no apparent pressure signs. It is what it is, and Im sure not inclined to want to change it. For all the sceptics out there, every weapon shoots different, some faster than others, some more accurate than others. A receipe that works well in one weapon, wont work at all in another. I have punched paper to prove my weapons capabilities. I may be new to this site but I'm not new to shooting accurately, or reloading for accuracy. Let me clear up some lack of communication / understanding about Christensen Arms weapons. Lets compare apples to apples. If your in the market for a long range ultra accurate fire arm, buy a weapon thats made specifically for that ( heavy barreled top quality bench weapon). However, if you want a light weight accurate weapon that you can carry all day long into the mts. and make a 600 yd. shot at a large game size target, a Christensen Arms weapon will do nicely. Light weight and accurate out to 6 seems to fit the hunters needs. The beauty of the light weight carbon wrapped barrel is you dont get the barrel whip that a light weight contoured all steel barrel does due to it's lack of mass. That being said, I think every weapon has trade offs. Lets face it, who wants to carry a 10-15 lb. weapon into the hills to hunt and hike for a week with? And on the flip side,who wants to attempt to shoot long range using a light weight weapon? If you want a 1000 yd. weapon, dont buy a Christensen Arms. If your looking for a light weight accurate hunting weapon a Christensen Arms fits the criteria. I dont know of any 1000 yd. competions won w/ a Christensen Arms weapon, and I dont know of any trophy goats taken in the Brooks Range with a 10-15 lb. bench weapon. On the latter there could be an exception to the rule, and I feel sorry for that person. (shoulda had a light weight Christensen Arms)

Last edited:
I must share my amusement. A 30-378 might shoot .5moa all day, once. Consistent .5 moa, with factory ammo and a Christensen Arms rifle? You should play the lottery.
I think you know what the guy meant, cut him some slack. and lets face it. One can spend an entire day at the range, and between cease fires and cleaning your weapon between shots, one may only shoot 20-30 rounds so .5 MOA all day long is very do-able. I hope I dont come across as contrary, just want to keep it real.

I also have a custom 30-378 with a 28 inch barrell . The first one they sent me i sent back for tunning . The one i got back is doing great . It does not like some bullets that i was shooting ,so try diffenent ones . The barnes 180 ttsx is what i found shoots best in mine .. It shoots lights out at 500 yards . Have not tryed any futher yet .. Good luck ... My 338-378 weatherby accumark shoots great to . Seems to me all guns need to be tuned up a little

Hey what a cawinkydink..lol! My 30-378 shoots 1/2 groups with factory ammo to. Now I didnt get a carbon custom mine was a factory accumark I had them put a new barrel on, timney trigger, accurized the action teflon coat it free float it, and in stall the brake. By the time I bought accumark used sent it to charms, and got it back I was about 2,900.00 outside of the scope and hell yeah it shoots.

Myrifle30-378006.jpg

I have a friend that has a 300 Win Mag built by CA and I am not sure of the barrel manufacturer other than it is carbon wrapped and it shoots in the .2's ( 3 shot groups ) with Barnes 150 TTSX at 3400 fps. all day and night long. He has had this rifle 8+ years and originally shot the regular 150 X bullet with the same accuracy. If this process did not work why is there more and more people copying it? It is not for me but to each his own.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.