Checking my self

Crew Dawg

I'm just getting in to the long range hunting thing. Well, mabey not. I've hunted Ground Hogs since i was big enough to handle dads 22-250. But never took a shot at deer or bigger over 200yds. I have a 300yd range in my back yard(literaly) so i shoot a lot. But that is the farthest i normaly shoot. I read an article here about adjusting instead of hold over. Aparently the man who wrote it has passed away. So i would like to run this buy you guys Just to make sure i have this correct. Say i am using my 30-06 with 168gr VLDs at 2900fps +/- using IMR4350. My calculator gives me a drop of 129.6 at 700yds with a 100yd zero. Thats the farthest i can shoot and still be over a 1000ftlbs. That would be (if ammo,gun and i work as advertized) roughly 22 clicks up. Did i do that correctly? And...does any one know of a place in Georgia or Northern Florida with a range that stretches past 300 yards?

I ran your numbers on my program and came up close to what you got. I used .473 BC, 2900fps, 1-10 twist barrel and I got 114.93. That's a 2.09 moa difference than what you got. However, the difference may be in your elevation, temp or BC. I'm at 4450 ft and 50 deg. here in Utah.
At any rate, I believe you got your calulations correct. Just keep in mind that you'll now need to go out and verify what your program is telling you.

Good for you HighKnob. Now get out and shoot at incriments out to 700 yards and find out what your actual drops are compared to your program and change your BCs, or whatever, until your program matches your real-life drops. With practice you'll be good to go.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to find a range closer than 5 hours away one way.

LRsickle: I'm at 226 ft and 46 deg. We are also about 80% humidity year round too. Rarely much wind though.

As mentioned above, real world tests need to be done.

But 22 clicks doesn't seem nearly enough to raise the impact the 129.6 inches you mentioned........your click value would have to be over 3/4 moa for that to work out.

129.6/1.0472"/7 = 17.68 moa. Most scopes are either approx 1/4 moa per click or .1 mil per click (about 1/3 moa), so in theory you'd need 70 clicks.

Again, in theory; but 22 clicks could result in a miss of around 7 feet at 700 yds.

CREW- I have several 30-06s. i shoot a lot of the berger 168s out them. H and I4350 are great choices for the 30-06. i shoot a lot of varget also. you do not say what rifle you are shooting. the 30-06 is a great long range round. if you are getting good groups at 100 yards it is WAY past time to move your target back . have fun. roninflag

I have 3, a 1903 that was converted to a "wanna be" sniper with a K4 Weaver that i can get 2x3" 5 shot groups with from federal factory 150gr. A 721 built in 49' with a K4 as well that i use for chucking 200gr Norma Oryx at every thing from Georgia Whitetail to Alaska Moose on the Kenai. I dropped a couple bucks i made on my last deployment on a push feed Model 70 target built in 65'. That i topped with a Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20x50. That is the one i want to stretch the legs on. It actualy shoots tighter at 300 than 100. I was about to sell it till i ran across an American Rifleman article that talked about rifles some times stabilizeing bullets better at range. So i decided to try it past 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.