my remmy or my m1?

whisperinthewind

Looking to put together a long range shooter say 850 yrds max now i currently have a older mid 60 remmy in 25-06. that im thinking of puting a 26 inch hart barrel on opinons!Then i have a old m1 thats still tight with a danish barrel on never shot it past 275yrds so which one would be better? Thanks you.

Conventional wisdom is going to say build the Remington bolt action. A Hart barrel can be a very good choice too. Doesn't have to stay a .25-06 either...

But - as both a Highpower shooter and a military guy - I've seen too much fine shooting done with the good old M-14/M-1A and M1 Garand to discount that possibility. There are obstacles to overcome - scoping it properly can be tricky - then getting a stock with a high enough comb to use the scope well can take a little work too. But doing so, you'd be "doing it your way" for sure.

I'd go the bolt action route with a custom barrel. It's tried and true - works like a charm and there's guys all over who can build you an superb long-range shooter for relatively low bucks on a Remington platform. It's simple and it works.

The M1 though - one of those as a long-range hunter - now that would be something to write an article about...

Regards, Guy

Since you said antalope I would recomand you stay with a least a 6mm ie .243 cal. bullet min. If your wanting to stay with a factory round the .25-06 would be a very good choice. If your considering a wildcat eather the 6-284 or the 6.5-284 would be alittle better. If you go with a wildcat your dies will be around $100 and reliable loading data is hard to come by. Any of the .300 mags. will help alittle in the range department, but you`ll pay in extra powder and lost meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.