Chasing the new and improved.

I hear some people complaining there is no innovation going on while others are frustrated with new cartridges that come out, some of which are marketed well and have success. You can't always know what innovations are going to take off, or which ones are going to spur thinking in someone else who will take things farther or in a new direction.

I like the new innovations. I don't mind a wildcat either. Have owned several AIs in various chamberings.
The recent bullet improvements and barrel makers willing to start supplying the proper twist rates to run heavy for caliber bullets have helped to spur the recent boom in cartridge choices.

The .257 131 Blackjack created a HUGE resurgence of the quarter bores, and with the heavier bullets, the want to push them faster. 25SST, 25 Max, 25 SAUM, 25 Blackjack, and the rebirth of popularity for the .25-06 (AI) and .257 Weatherby will really start showing up now. Just need the gun manufacturers to jump on the bandwagon and offer faster twist factory rifles now.

Berger also is jumping in with the new 133 Elite Hunter and 135 LR Hyb coming out soon. Hornady has hinted at a 135 A Tip too.

The Berger .277 170 EOL is slowly catching on, which will improve the .270Win (AI), .270 WSM, 27SS, etc. Add the new 6.8 Western in there for another .277" flavor.

The new .264 & .284 bullet offerings just keep coming, and why not shoot a short action cartridge that nears or equals to the tried and true 7RM with 8gr less powder?

Speaking of powder, the new lines are making velocities that were unattainable just 20 years ago a real possibility, especially with the high BC heavies.

What about the heavy monos? Huge following, especially in places like Kommiefornia that has outlawed lead bullets. Need the twist rates and powders to run these to their full potential. And why not in a new cartridge to boot?

Each facet makes small improvements, But collectively, they add up to significant gains.
40* shoulder, less case taper, heavy for caliber high BC bullets pushed by high energy powders in fast twist barrels match cartridges from the past that needed much more case volume to equal what today is becoming the norm. Who would have thought a short action .257 pushing a 131gr bullet would outpace a 7RM pushing a 160 SGK for hunting deer just 10 years ago?

So what's next? A 300 PRC necked down to a 7mm?

I sincerely hope so, lol. I have been wanting that cartridge for a couple years now, wondering when Hornady would think of it too... little higher case capacity than a 7RM, no belt (preference thing, here)... with a good fast twist barrel and high BC bullets, it'd be a fantastic long range performer. The big plus is commercially available dies and brass. That's about the only reason I have not done a 7 Mashburn (or 7/300 WM), to be honest.

I really think there is a niche in the market in this caliber and capacity that isn't being filled, commercially. Its not the horsepower of a 28 Nosler, but would habe great ballistics and decent barrel life (I am guessing... either way it would be good marketing since thats the only thing i hear people whine about with the 28). Could be wrong, and there are always those who will say "it's a 7RM going a tiny bit faster". But to me, I'd be all over it.

Roll it out, Hornady!!!!

I sincerely hope so, lol. I have been wanting that cartridge for a couple years now, wondering when Hornady would think of it too... little higher case capacity than a 7RM, no belt (preference thing, here)... with a good fast twist barrel and high BC bullets, it'd be a fantastic long range performer. The big plus is commercially available dies and brass. That's about the only reason I have not done a 7 Mashburn (or 7/300 WM), to be honest.

I really think there is a niche in the market in this caliber and capacity that isn't being filled, commercially. Its not the horsepower of a 28 Nosler, but would habe great ballistics and decent barrel life (I am guessing... either way it would be good marketing since thats the only thing i hear people whine about with the 28). Could be wrong, and there are always those who will say "it's a 7RM going a tiny bit faster". But to me, I'd be all over it.

Roll it out, Hornady!!!!
My 28 SM is a Shermanized 300 prc and will run 3200+ with 195's
shermanwildcatcartridges.com
Head stamped brass, dies, and reamers in stock

My 28 SM is a Shermanized 300 prc and will run 3200+ with 195's
shermanwildcatcartridges.com
Head stamped brass, dies, and reamers in stock

I REALLY like the sound of that! Will keep that in mind... my next long range gun is going to be a 7mm. Was originally thinking a SAUM since I have a short action bighorn... but my plans frequently change lol

Roll it out, Hornady!!!!
OOh Lordie! What a can of worms I opened. Just goes to show you that people are always looking for something that fits their idea of the perfect cartridge for them. Plus they just love tinkering with bullets, barrels and twist rates.

I have a 7-300 PRC reamer. Its a good case. I would bet we will see it sooner or later. Actually I would be very surprised if we don't. You don't have to try the newer stuff, nothing wrong with sticking with what you know. But for some of us, working with new stuff, learning, and trying to makes things better IS the hobby. Usually once I have a rifle figured out and tuned it gets sold ;)

I have a 7-300 PRC reamer. Its a good case. I would bet we will see it sooner or later. Actually I would be very surprised if we don't. You don't have to try the newer stuff, nothing wrong with sticking with what you know. But for some of us, working with new stuff, learning, and trying to makes things better IS the hobby. Usually once I have a rifle figured out and tuned it gets sold ;)
That's where it's at! I like trying new things! I ain't scared of change! When I get a rifle/cartridge figured out it's an accomplishment but, it seems hollow after a while.

Agreed. I've been expecting them to announce it for a while. I really do think there is a hole in the factory market for this round, and Hornady is extremely good at finding niches.

Love your work man. I WILL have a rifle of yours some day!

I feel this is going to be a long one haha. I can see you feel some of the same as I do. The 2 driving factors in my opinion is case capacity and barrel twist. With those 2 factors you can take a 60's model cartridge and turn it into a modern viable long range cartridge. Properly chambering a cartridge, and proper sizing die can turn any round into modern day greatness.
Moose -

Howdy !

Reknowned ballistician Homer Powley ( " Powley Computer " ) told us that one method of comparing a rifle's efficiency at converting chemical energy into kinetic energy is by comparing their " Expansion Ratio " .

Low efficiency guns ( such as " overbore " capacity rifles ) have low expansion ratio numbers.

For a given case capacity and and calibre, the way to change rifle' expansion ratio is by changing barrel length.
Longer barrels allow more opportunity for powder combustion gasses to expand, which equates to better chemical conversion efficiency.

For a given calibre and barrel length, the way to change rifle' expansion ratio is by changing case capacity.
In this instance, one can back away from a potential " barrel burner " chambering option, to a somehwat smaller case capacity that offers better expansion ratio for that particular calibre and barrel length.

Things like barrel twist rate and bullet weight are not factors in the expansion ratio equation, as they don't relate to " total capacity " ( chamber capacity + bore capacity ) of the gun.

With regards,
357Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.