Changing the internal dimensions of a rifles chamber

RB II

New Proof CF 22-250 1-8 twist barrel. The barrel has been mounted on the rifle and everything is fine, shot a few break in loads today. Measuring the chamber with different bullets I intend on loading in the rifle and am finding that the chamber is barely long enough to seat 55 gr Varmint bullets jam, minus 20 or 30 thousandths. 69 Sierra Tipped Game Kings and 70 Hammer Hunters are pushed back into the brass over 1/4" past the shoulder/neck junction, not optimal.

Question is how can it be fixed, or can it, so that all three bullets are accommodated in the chamber so they are loaded optimally? Seems like the solution would be use a reamer to remove more of the barrel to allow the longer bullets to be seated longer in the chamber? I am no gun smith by any imagination, so hope this isn't a stupid question. Would ask my gunsmith, but he is also an O&G company man and is out on a rig for the next 20 days.

New Proof CF 22-250 1-8 twist barrel. The barrel has been mounted on the rifle and everything is fine, shot a few break in loads today. Measuring the chamber with different bullets I intend on loading in the rifle and am finding that the chamber is barely long enough to seat 55 gr Varmint bullets jam, minus 20 or 30 thousandths. 69 Sierra Tipped Game Kings and 70 Hammer Hunters are pushed back into the brass over 1/4" past the shoulder/neck junction, not optimal.

Question is how can it be fixed, or can it, so that all three bullets are accommodated in the chamber so they are loaded optimally? Seems like the solution would be use a reamer to remove more of the barrel to allow the longer bullets to be seated longer in the chamber? I am no gun smith by any imagination, so hope this isn't a stupid question. Would ask my gunsmith, but he is also an O&G company man and is out on a rig for the next 20 days.
Hey Rbotard
Good evening and hope that you and your family are doing well.
This can be fixed.
First is that you should check your chamber with a Modified Case Gauge to see exactly where your lands are in relationship to the bullets you are using.
If your chamber throat was cut 'Short" or for a different bullet than you want to use you can always go back to your Gunsmith and discuss with him or her.
If in fact you need a longer throat for the bullets you want to use, the throat can be lengthened by using a Uni-Throater.
If you want more information you can PM us and then we can discuss options.

EDIT:
I know that you said your GS was gone for 20 days. Did you purchase the Reamer or the GS Have the Reamer? The Reamer Print will show how your chamber was cut. Also how well do you know the GS and what did you ask for in the chamber?

Thanks
Len & Jill

Hey Rbotard
Good evening and hope that you and your family are doing well.
This can be fixed.
First is that you should check your chamber with a Modified Case Gauge to see exactly where your lands are in relationship to the bullets you are using.
If your chamber throat was cut 'Short" or for a different bullet than you want to use you can always go back to your Gunsmith and discuss with him or her.
If in fact you need a longer throat for the bullets you want to use, the throat can be lengthened by using a Uni-Throater.
If you want more information you can PM us and then we can discuss options.

EDIT:
I know that you said your GS was gone for 20 days. Did you purchase the Reamer or the GS Have the Reamer? The Reamer Print will show how your chamber was cut. Also how well do you know the GS and what did you ask for in the chamber?

Thanks
Len & Jill
We are doing excellent, thanks for asking.
Glad to hear it can be fixed.
The barrel was a pre-fit Savage small shank 22-250 CF from Proof. So all the GS did on this one is to assemble and headspace with Go/No Go gauges.

For measuring the chamber, I typically use a spent casing and insert the chosen bullet into the case mouth, insert that into the rifle chamber, close the bolt, extract and measure with dial caliper. I typically do this several times to insure correctness. I only have hunting rifles, so EXACT measurements to determine jump for maximum accuracy isn't my point. Chamber pressure from a bullet jammed into the lands is, I like to load bullets that are more forgiving as far as jump is concerned.
Thanks.

For measuring the chamber, I typically use a spent casing and insert the chosen bullet into the case mouth, insert that into the rifle chamber, close the bolt, extract and measure with dial caliper. I typically do this several times to insure correctness. I only have hunting rifles, so EXACT measurements to determine jump for maximum accuracy isn't my point. Chamber pressure from a bullet jammed into the lands is, I like to load bullets that are more forgiving as far as jump is concerned.
Thanks.
fbotard
Your chamber can be fixed to the bullet you want to shoot with a Uni Throater.

How does the rifle shoot as is? One of my hunting buddies has a 22-250. With his load he uses, Sometimes you open the action it will pull the case powder flies and leave the bullet in the barrel throat. The rifle shoots bug holes.

How does the rifle shoot as is? One of my hunting buddies has a 22-250. With his load he uses, Sometimes you open the action it will pull the case powder flies and leave the bullet in the barrel throat. The rifle shoots bug holes.
I have only shot factory 55 gr off of a shooting stick to get the scope closer to zero. Probably Wednesday, I will shoot the factory 55s off of the bench to determine accuracy of those. I haven't loaded the 70 gr HH yet. The JAM measurement makes the bullet inserted into the case over .25". I can load them, but knowing that the velocity and likely accuracy will suffer for seating so far inside of the brass. Don't really want to waste the components as I know I probably won't like the results. The rifle is 1-8 twist, so is cut to shoot the heavier bullets, just trying to be able to do both.
The HHs might not be for this rifle as they are very long, 1.02". The Hornady varmint bullet is 11/16" by comparison. I do have 69 gr Tipped Game King bullets
I don't like shooting hunting bullets jammed into the lands, like it sounds the loads are in your buddies rifle. For me, too much potential for pressure spikes, especially in Texas due to wide temperature changes.

You can only make so many compromises before the results degrade... Pick your sweet point an build toward that. Focus on the load that is your primary goal. Trying to make a rifle and load "good enough" with every option will result in a rifle that is just average with everything. Some of my "pet" loads would seem to be weird to other folks, but they fill a niche with a particular rifle that give me more shooting opportunities. But the primary load goal remains on target. JMHO !

You can only make so many compromises before the results degrade... Pick your sweet point an build toward that. Focus on the load that is your primary goal. Trying to make a rifle and load "good enough" with every option will result in a rifle that is just average with everything. Some of my "pet" loads would seem to be weird to other folks, but they fill a niche with a particular rifle that give me more shooting opportunities. But the primary load goal remains on target. JMHO !
No doubt. I am leaning more toward an optimal setup for the longer bullets and just let the 55 gr shoot where they will with a long jump. I don't really expect great things from that though. I will also try the 70s seated deep into the brass, who knows, the velocity and accuracy may be acceptable. I may well have to get another barrel that meets that optimal setup criteria but in the same caliber.
It is a hunting rifle, 1/2 moa is not the goal although it may well turn out to be that. If I can get the primary goal heavies to shoot 3/4" or better and the 55 gr to shoot moa or better then that would be great. I feel that is obtainable, but maybe not.

My grandson does that kind of work. His cell phone always works.

No doubt. I am leaning more toward an optimal setup for the longer bullets
Make up a dummy round with the bullet resulting in the longest CBTO measurement (you said you'll live with the longer jump for anything else) and give it to your smith when he gets back; tell him how much jump you want based on that round.

Keep in mind, the 22-.250 is a throat burner- you can smoke one in less than 500 rounds, or stretch to a couple thousand maybe if you keep loads light and don't light it off like a MG. It won't be long until you're chasing that freebore as the throat wears away- so keep that in mind. Depending on how much jump you generally like- you may want to consider seating that bullet a little deeper than you might like initially because that will allow you to seat further out as the throat wears initially, while maintaining the same jump.