7rum....thinking of changing...

That's just it...the action and bolt face work for a lot of really good cartridges...just what am I going to settle on if I choose to keep it...
How much weight difference is there between a factory 26" sporter and a 26" carbon wrapped....maybe that difference would settle my dilemma....or swapping a bolt and barrel...

Last edited:
Not much variety there in the middle cartridge wise, but there are possibilities with bullets. Get a 1-7" twist, chamber 28 Nosler, set it up to run the 177 Hammers, or have Steve cut you a unique bullet for it.
Or a 25 Nosler with a heavyweight in it.
Get creative!!!

1 in 7" is a slippery slope. Learned the hard way not to dedicate your barrel to one bullet manufacturer. Especially one with that much torque. I have many pictures of 7mm 200 grain Wildcats splattered all over the place.

Now that's a thought...a 25 Nosler....didn't think of going that small of caliber.....for that big of brass.....
But what about a 25 wsm...
Anyone have something close to that cartridge.......

1 in 7" is a slippery slope. Learned the hard way not to dedicate your barrel to one bullet manufacturer. Especially one with that much torque. I have many pictures of 7mm 200 grain Wildcats splattered all over the place.

I don't completely disagree. I've built a rifle, and seen the bullet I planned on using disappear. What were talking about here seems like boredom. The number of cases fitting the bill is limited, the number of bullet possibilities is much larger. I'm curing my been there done that, with a similar project. It did pique his interest more than my original two cents worth, be practical, sell the piece, and open the possibilities.

I still wouldn't want to build a rifle for one bullet...and 25 doesn't have a huge selection....but it's different...but more than likely all custom everything...that's lots of money...

I think I am going to do a .223 wssm on a 7 twist and try some big hammers in it

I currently have a Remington 700 7RUM....shoots okay...but burns a lot of powder to get a 168gr bullet to 2950fps...91gr rl33....
Have a 7WSM that can easily do that....
Limited with a magnum bolt face...but curious what other options there can be to change out a barrel to a....
Don't necessarily need another magnum caliber...just thinking different cartridge.....
Also been thinking of selling it....with all the accessories for reloading...
Couple boxes worth of brass and rcbs dies....
Throw out some ideas please....

I Don't understand why it wont get more velocity with a 168. I am a bit on the conservative side and never load high pressure loads (Anymore) and My 7mm RUM exceeds 3300 easy with the 168.

Check your load length and make sure you are using all of the freebore (The rums Need It to keep pressures under control and velocities high).
Factory loads should be around 3200+.

The 7mm ultra should be 10 to 12% faster than the 7 STW which has no problem with 3150 with the 168 grain bullets so that's why I was wondering about the velocity. I would also worry about the chronographs accuracy if you are pushing the bullets to there limits as you stated.

If you are gust tired of the big RUM the only thing you will have to change is the barrel, and any Mag face cartridge will work with out any Other work. With the action length, the 7 STW would be a good choice for a rebarrel without giving up to much power.

J E CUSTOM

JE...
Oal lenght of box....3.670"
Coal.........................3.665"
Closet I could measure to the lands touching....3.999"..
Rifle is a sport barrel...
Restocked with a 2.5# Stockys VG..
Shoots well at 91gr rl33...and chronoed several times over a Chrono in 60° temp...92 shot a little faster but not anymore accurate...but the scope kept smashing my hat brim back into my forehead...I like my hats....
I was kind of interested in changing into a different cartridge but have a father & son wanting to buy it....so its is going to a new home...
Most guys may be running heavier barrels and longer getting better fps but thats fine...I was fine hitting rocks at 777 yards...
Just gonna let it go to a new home and possibly save up for another of some kind....
I do have a 7wsm in the safe that shoots really good...will have to find a new stock as that was cut down for my wife...
Winchester m70 supershadow(I think)...24" barrel...
Thanks

JE...
Oal lenght of box....3.670"
Coal.........................3.665"
Closet I could measure to the lands touching....3.999"..
Rifle is a sport barrel...
Restocked with a 2.5# Stockys VG..
Shoots well at 91gr rl33...and chronoed several times over a Chrono in 60° temp...92 shot a little faster but not anymore accurate...but the scope kept smashing my hat brim back into my forehead...I like my hats....
I was kind of interested in changing into a different cartridge but have a father & son wanting to buy it....so its is going to a new home...
Most guys may be running heavier barrels and longer getting better fps but thats fine...I was fine hitting rocks at 777 yards...
Just gonna let it go to a new home and possibly save up for another of some kind....
I do have a 7wsm in the safe that shoots really good...will have to find a new stock as that was cut down for my wife...
Winchester m70 supershadow(I think)...24" barrel...
Thanks

If you still like the 7mm, You might consider the 280 rem. It would require a few changes in your action, but it is a fine all round cartridge
that doesn't rock your world when fired.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.