Chamber Dimensions

As you know you have way to much brass exposed. So much this rifle should not be fired. It is very unsafe as is.

You can get a precise measurement on an assembled rifle by cutting a small piece of dead soft lead solder or lead birdshot and using a dab of grease to hold it in place on the end of the bolt, close the bolt up on it and the lead will smash to the exact size of the clearance that can be measured exactly with a Mic.

Sako/ Winchester / Mauser / Ruger/ Cone bolt, whatever doesn't matter. They still need a precise clearance from the end of the bolt to the barrel.

I'm pretty sure the clearance problem was covered quite well so I'm not sure what your disappointed about. You said his problem was that he had too much clearance on his bolt nose. I said it didn't have one.

He said he had .094" for a bolt face recess and roughly .270+" from the case head to where the case bulged. I told him at a minimum, with a sloppy .020" clearance, he had around .160" of the case unsupported where it should be so his tenon was cut way too short. Several others told him the same thing. I've experienced the same brass problems on a gun with a short tenon. What wasn't covered?

How do you miss by .100+? I fill out a work sheet on every barrel tenon, measure it on the action, use the barrel to double check and then cut to the number then verify with an indicator on the rear of the bolt that my calculated bolt nose clearance is indeed reality. How could .100+ make it out the door? Personally if I knew that had happened to one of mine I would probably puke, I know we make mistakes but at some point there has to be some non negotiable quality control just from that fact that your work could kill someone!!

How do you miss by .100+? How could .100+ make it out the door? Personally if I knew that had happened to one of mine I would probably puke, I know we make mistakes but at some point there has to be some non negotiable quality control just from that fact that your work could kill someone!!
+1, BnG. Anyone with a lathe and an interest in firearms is now a "gunsmith".

I'm sorry guys. I just reread the whole thread and you are right that the problem was diagnosed on the very first post and clearly several times after that to the op that was stuck on a dimension that is not a component of chambering a barrel. No more posting for me when I have a fever. Darn flu has got me sweating up a storm.

It's hard to believe anyone charging money to install barrels would make a mistake like this. Things are just not adding up. I think there is a bit more to the story.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.